Thursday, April 05, 2007

Oh, Hell. Will I Never Learn?

I totally didn't finish grading. I suck.

In other news, though, that is much more positive, it looks like Dr. Crazy's Tour of the British Isles this summer will be a reality! Let's say you had the opportunity to be taken all over the place - England, Wales, Scotland. How long would you impose on the friend who's taking you all over? One week? 10 days? Apparently, it's totally and completely up to me. Oh, and money isn't really an object because the Tour of the British Isles will include imposing on my friend's friends and family all over the British Isles, so really it's a matter of preference rather than of practical considerations. (Well, there are some practical considerations that don't have to do with money, but I shouldn't post about them here. They're more like... historical... considerations that I've got to take into account.)

4 comments:

Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

If it were me...
Assuming a good friend who doesn't have work concerns to limit things... I'd say a week on the tour itself. Maybe after that you could do some other things on your own for a few days while your friend chills out -- and then you could treat your friend to a fun weekend someplace you haven't been yet as a thank-you. That would give you a two week trip with the right balance of together and separate time... I think it is an awfuly long way to go for just one week... and, maybe after the two weeks in Great Brittan you could have some fun elsewhere in Europe before you go home...

Dr. Crazy said...

Well, see here's the thing. I'll be in England for a conference, and so I will be there longer than a week whatever the case (on the front end of my trip I'll do some sight-seeing, etc. on my own, then there is the conference, then will be the Tour of the British Isles). I'm leaning toward imposing on my friend for 8-10 days. Hmmm.... Must consider this further.

And the Continent won't happen this trip - if that's going to happen it will happen next year when there's a conference in France. (Yes, I apparently go to Europe every summer. This would be glamourous if I weren't totally poor :) )

Sisyphus said...

Oooh, travel! I would say a week, depending on whether this friend is a starving student or settled academic or has a regular, paying job. (I wouldn't know what those are like, though). On the other hand, my friends have decided that about 3 days is the limit for camping with people unless you know and like them very well, so there's always the annoyance-of-constantly-being-around someone factor.

On a totally random note, if you organize a conference panel but don't appear on it, do you put it on your CV? Under service? How would it appear?

Dr. Crazy said...

Well, the situation with the friend is that he teaches, and so he'll be on summer vacation when I'm there. Since there will be lots of other people around, too, the annoyance thing should be ok, and since we're not going to be camping :) Right now I'm leaning toward 9 days, figuring that day one will be the day I arrive and day nine will be the day I leave, which leaves 7 days for travels, catching up, etc.

As for the above question, I would list it as professional service. something like,

Organizer, "Title of Panel," Panel at X Conference, Date.