Saturday, October 25, 2008

Operation Fitness, or, Feeling Centered and Good But Also Boring

I'm checking in with an operation fitness update because I just finished working out and as that is the main thing that I accomplished today, well, there you are.

Operation Fitness seems to be going really well. Here's what I've been doing:

1. I'm not really dieting. I still drink wine, I eat (and rarely feel hungry - only feel hungry when I stupidly forget to pack food for school or something), I've eaten cookies and chips (at our department meeting, without guilt). If you wanted to say I'm on a diet, you'd probably say I'm on phase 2 of the South Beach Diet, but I'm not thinking of it like that. Basically, I have cut out eating out, I've cut out sugar (except for that in fruit), I've cut out the potato (my nemesis), I've cut out processed foods. I am eating things like whole wheat bread, whole wheat pasta, and brown rice. Sometimes, cooking involves butter, though only in very small quantities per portion. I aim to drink at least 32 oz. of water a day. Some days I drink more, some days only around 18 oz. I do still drink diet soda, but not much as if you're going to drink that much water, there's not much time left in the day for drinking pop. When I cook multi-serving things (which is, like, always), I put it away in single-serving-size containers. When I eat a meal, I eat it on a small plate or bowl, and I make myself wait 20 minutes before allowing myself to go back for more. If I feel hungry after 20 minutes, I go back for more. Usually I don't. What am I eating? Lots of veggies, lean meat/chicken, some (though not much - I've really cut back on this, I realize now) cheese (2%, or low-fat string cheese). Most frequently I snack on nuts (almonds most of the time).

2. Every day some form of physical activity, at least 30 minutes worth, is on the agenda, but probably 2 to 3 days a week it doesn't happen. And I've decided that's ok. Mostly I've been walking in my neighborhood (glorious fall weather), but also I've gone to the gym. Depends on my mood. I've noticed that even on the days that I don't work out I'm more active, whether it's being active by cleaning up around the house or cooking something complicated or whatever, but the point is, I'm not just lying on the couch all day.

And that's it. And the fact is, this is pretty much how it's going to have to be forever, because I'm not a teenager and the reality is that when you're not a teenager you can't just eat whatever you want and be a lazy non-active person and still fit into clothes you like. And thus far I've lost around 7 pounds.

But so anyway, it's nice to make that progress, and I'm feeling pretty good about myself of late. I'm also feeling good because Operation Get Out of Credit Card Debt continues in fine fashion, and I'm well on my way to being totally done with that by June. And I've got a couple of research things brewing, the teaching is going well, and I'm burdened with service, but well, so what? I'm squeezing in the service commitments when time allows and letting them slide when it doesn't. Because something has to give, and if it's going to be anything, it's going to be service.

But so all of this is making me feel pretty boring lately. There's no drama. No intrigue. No angst. Just taking care of business, feeling centered, feeling good. I know, don't borrow trouble, blah blah blah, but I'll talk to my friends and I feel like I've got nothing to say, nothing to analyze. This feels just... uncompanionable. It's like I've got nothing to bitch about. And, frankly, that's kind of annoying. It's also weird that I feel like nearly everybody in the whole world (exceptions: FB and my diss director, and you can feel free to make of that what you wish in regard to what it says about me and significant men in my life) is more excited about my book coming out than I am. I feel like, "So what? That's over with. What's the next thing?" Maybe I'll feel differently when I actually hold the thing in my hands (still haven't received my copies, must contact my editor), but at the end of the day, I find this whole "it's coming out" thing to be a total anticlimax.

But so anyway, the only thing I have to bitch about is that everything is just fine and dandy. I hate people like me :)

2 comments:

Virginia S. Wood, Psy.D., Instructor said...

i bought this neat thing called the HydraCoach by Sportline last week, and it's the first time in my life I've had 6-8 glasses of water a day.

http://www.hydracoach.com/

No working out for me this week: bad back. Hoping to start back tomorrow.

Belle said...

If you need pain/angst in your life, I will gladly refer my Idiot Brother to you.

Good work on the weight loss and debt reduction. I lost 10 over the summer from hell, and am nibbling at the debt. If you want some of that, I would be delighted to give you yet another goal!!