Tuesday, October 09, 2007

RBOC: I Really Can't Wait until It Cools Off Edition

  • Because let me just tell you, I do not have a vast enough warm-weather teaching wardrobe to support 80+ degree temperatures from August through October. They say the cool front is coming. I'll believe it when I see it.
  • Last night FB insisted that the "wowzas" to indicate updated blogs in the sidebar have had their day and that I should change them. And so then I said, "excuse me, but why does your opinion matter about this?" and then he said, "well, I bet your other readers find them irritating, too," and I said, "well, we'll just see about that," but then also said, "and what would you suggest I switch to if I get rid of the 'wowza'," and, typically, he had not a clue (lame). So, dear readers: 1) should I change the "wowza" to something else and 2) if so, what should I change it to? Perhaps this can be a sort of a contest. If you think it should stay the same and that FB should mind his own stupid business, feel free to let him know that as well :)
  • Oh, and speaking of FB, it is as yet unclear, but I have a strong suspicion that it's not me who can't watch the Indians for fear of hurting their chances but him. Apparently he has a history with this sort of thing. It totally figures. It's as if he walks around with his own personal storm cloud above his head.
  • In other news, I'm feeling so pleased with myself that I got all necessary grading done last night! I'm not entirely pleased that I will have to give the stuff back today, but well, there we are.
  • You know why else I want the weather to change? So my allergies won't continue to make me a watery-eyed mess every morning (when the Claritin has worn off.... I'm usually fine within the hour, but dude, it sucks to have to rely on the allergy medicine to this extent).
  • Ok, enough of the RBOC for now, as I really need to get myself ready and head off to school. Tra la!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

while not irritating per se, the wowza does make me think of Ross from friends and that's not altogether a good thing. I have no alternative for you.

Robert said...

Rotate the wowza! 90 degrees into the page so that all you can see is !

For me, the ! indicates everything the wowsa! does.

In mathematics, the ! is used to denote a factorial ( 3! = 3*2*1 ) and also to make mathematics appear more exciting.

Horace said...

RBOComments:
I've been feeling the scooby vibe lately: Zoinks is nice, but someone else may have used it; which may just leave you with Velma's immortal "Jinkies!".

You could always go with the Q-bert style !@$#%? to indicate some kind of unknown profanity, too.

Also, I hear you on the heat and the wardrobe...those khaki linen pants of mine have gotten a real workout this fall.

When I turned off the Tribe/Fish game seven oh so many years ago, the Fish scored within 5 minutes. I was very sad.

Finally, have you thought to ask your doc for an antihistamine eye-drop prescription? Between that and Flonase (great name, eh?) I'm not taking a daily antihistamine at all these days.

Dr. Curmudgeon said...

Keeping in mind that I'm new to these parts, I like the "wowza!" though I hadn't exactly decoded it correctly.

I think when you're at the point of analyzing the impact of a specific feature like that, you know it's probably okay and you're only running the risk of doing something along the lines of "New Coke."

Marcelle Proust said...

It's your blog. You get to say anything you want, even when you're signaling that someone else has spoken. If we don't like it, we don't have to read it.

The History Enthusiast said...

Tell me about it. This morning when I left for campus it was 42 degrees; now it is 79. I am so ready for fall clothes!

Dr. Crazy said...

Dr. Curmudgeon,
Well, I feel as if you understand this situation completely, although I do like the idea of just the exclamation point in order to make things more exciting.... That said, I do not want to be a "New Coke" sort of person. No, indeed, I do not.

Also, Marcelle, this is basically what I told FB last night. In addition to telling him that if he wants to make such decisions then he'll need to have his own stupid blog because I'm in charge of what goes on here. That's why he then said that I should consult with my readers, though, because he felt he was just speaking for the masses or some such. Ah, what scintillating conversations the FB and I do have.

Addy N. said...

Oh god, am I in allergy hell, too. This weather really sucks ass this year. I can't believe that I am still running the A/C in October. I can't wait for a hard freeze...

Daniel said...

Agree with FB on the wowza. I would lean towards the, admittedly boring, 'new!' or 'updated!'.

Also, re: playoffs. I can't decide who to root for, because I don't know which teams I hate the most.

Cleveland: racist mascot, huge Twins rival...

BoSox: yes, we get it 2004 was big. doesn't mean you have to show every freaking NYY v. Bos game in preference to every other game in the nation

Col: Coors. A stadium shouldn't need a humidor to be playable.

Ari: Schilling. Yes, I dislike him that much, the pompous Republican bastard. Fight in Iraq yourself instead of dying your sock for effect.

Yes, because I know you cared about why I hate all the teams in the playoffs.

Dr. Crazy said...

RE: the Wowza - "new" or "updated" are bo-ring. I'd rather just do a plain ol' exclamation point before I did that.

Re: the racist Chief Wahoo. Ok, I know it's racist. That said, I've a fondness in my heart for the Wahoo, and I can't get behind villifying the Wahoo if we're not going to also villify the Braves, the Redskins, well, every racist-ish sports team mascot/name. I'm not saying it's right, and I'm not saying it's not racist. But I can't hang with PC reasons for hating a team. And I grew up in Cleveland, and so I'm totally biased.

As for showing every BoSox/Yankee game.... on the one hand I can get behind not doing that, but I have to say, it is one of the best (if not the best) rivalries in baseball. Same reason why they show Browns/Steelers games on Monday Night Football. Makes great television.

Colorado.... I just don't feel like they're a real team? Is that enough reason not to care about them?

Schilling... meh. I don't know. He's a great pitcher. That's all I care about in baseball-world. I mean, couldn't we say that everybody should be off fighting in Iraq instead of whatever we're doing, if we're going to use that logic? Seems like a silly argument to me.

Unknown said...

personally, I like yowza.

also, your blogroll is missing one of the funniest academic blogs, Rate Your Students...

Bardiac said...

I like "wowza" just fine, though "yowza" would be an amusing change for those of us who've been around a while, subtle, fun.

I dread fall. Want to trade climates? Because after fall comes winter, and winter is cussworthy cold.

Daniel said...

My issue with Schilling is that he has made many public statements in support of the war, Bush, and other crazy-right wing social conservative things.

I also despise the Redskins etc. on that point.

There are plenty of good rivalries in baseball (Cubs-Cards, Dodgers-Giants, Twins-Tribe, and Twins-Sox of late, Mets-Braves, etc.) And these games are frequently usurped for yet another overpaid, over-hyped Yanks-Sox.

And the D-backs fall under the 'not a real team' category also. Which makes the fact of their recent championship all the more onerous.

Anonymous said...

i'm all for wowza or any other exciting fun exclamation, and think FB is clearly wrong.