Monday, August 18, 2008

RBOC: Fuck. Damn. Shit.

  • I went to the office after I posted and only just got home now. a.) The kittens do contribute the Culture of Procrastination, and I'm officially mad at them. b.) I'm exhausted. c.) Fuck.
  • I apparently have to do all written documents for my online class tomorrow. Because I'm an idiot, and I scheduled a meeting with the tech guy for Wednesday morning. I'm an idiot. I want to complain about the tech guy, but that would be bad form as I've clearly done this to myself.
  • I got an email from my youngest half-brother (I've got two). I feel like an asshole, but I feel like he didn't write it but rather that my step-monster wrote it pretending to be him. This feeling is probably crazy.
  • I love my thesis student! What's her pseudonym again? Oh yes, it's BES (Bright, Enthusiastic Student). Sure, she didn't really "accomplish" much this summer, but our meeting was very productive, and it was also revealed that she won't be graduating until May after all, so the lack of productivity this summer? Excellent! We have a whole extra semester to work together!
  • The final shit for the book should (crossing fingers, praying novenas, etc.) be done. For real this time. Like in theory, barring anything unforeseen, it should be out in October.
  • Oh, and another great thing about BES is she's decided to take a year off after she graduates and not to apply to grad school this fall. This is an excellent decision, I think.
  • How on God's Green Earth can school be starting in one week? How can I do all the things I need to do? And is drinking wine really advisable right now? Perhaps not, but I am drinking wine right now.
  • How can everybody I run into seem all rested and relaxed and ready to begin again?
  • And I really have to remember that I can't talk to myself in public. This is one of the problems with living alone and with cats. It seems normal to just say things out loud. It is not normal.
  • I really have to work on my road rage problem. Esp. as it pertains to a certain traffic circle on campus. You know what would help with this? If people weren't fucking idiots in the traffic circle.
  • Please tell me that I can get everything done. I know it's a lie, but please tell me this anyway.

9 comments:

Belle said...

What? Talking to oneself is not good? Damn. On the other hand, with the whole bluetooth and cell phone things, I just assume those talking are on their phones. Because *I* talk to my dogs & cats all the time. I even catch myself saying to real people 'well, Pup and I were talking the other day and he said...'

Oops.

life_of_a_fool said...

I'm with belle - talking to yourself/animals isn't normal? Then it's probably not o.k. to walk around in public, talking to yourself animatedly and waving your arms about, as I tend to do.

You WILL get it all done. And all those people who seem all relaxed and ready? They're faking.

Psych Post Doc said...

If your blog didn't so clearly say you're in the midwest I would think you and I were stuck in the same traffic circle!

It will all get done, and of course wine is a good idea right now... it's a good idea anytime.

gwoertendyke said...

i'm with you on road rage and wine. perhaps they are related.

and not feeling normal, of course. so abnormal i comment but don't blog!

Terri said...

of course you won't get it all done. rather, you will adjust your expectations as the time approaches. you will remember that it is not necessary to have all the work of a semester completed before
that actual semester begins. and you will breathe, sigh even, and give yourself over to the messy indeterminacy of life in the semester.

(congrats on your book!)

The History Enthusiast said...

I always get road rage when all the new students start careening around town and ignoring lights, stop signs, etc. We have a roundabout too, so I feel your pain!

Everything will get done, so don't psych yourself out about it!

Nik said...

I talk loudly to myself always. Next time someone asks me who I'm talking to, I'll say you.

JaneB said...

Everything that needs doing will get done. And if anyone comments on your talking to yourself tell them it's the only way to have an intelligent conversation. Surely it's normal - we spend so much time thinking in words as academics, of course we'll do that aloud. If reading silently is a relatively recent invention, then maybe thinking silently is too?

Astroprof said...

You can do it all! You'd better be able to do it all, because I have to do about as much by tomorrow. I am coordinating several adjunct faculty, and I need to meet with them by tomorrow about two different classes. Hmm. I guess that I need to get done reading blogs and start working.