Wednesday, March 22, 2006

A Telephone Call

I haven't written much about the Chemist of late, but our correspondence has flourished over the past week. I'm proceeding with caution, for a number of reasons that are too complicated to go into on the blog, but we have agreed to progress to the next level - telephonic communication - this evening. I'm totally nervous and excited and freaked out. How does one talk to a stranger on the phone? Particularly a stranger who isn't really a stranger because one has been having a wonderful correspondence for more than a week with him? Also, I wanted him to call me so that I wouldn't have to be the nervous one who had to get the courage to call, but I fear that the result of this decision to be the callee rather than the caller will mean that I'll be all nutso like the protagonist of this Dorothy Parker story.

Anyway, I'm totally excited. And totally freaked out. Oh, and I'm still not done with my stupid article. I think I should just accept that I'm not going to be done with it until the date of the actual deadline. I'm just annoyed with myself that I have to be that kind of person.

But I'm totally excited. I hope he doesn't have a voice like a chipmunk, though. That would really suck.

8 comments:

itinerarium said...

Ah, that magic progression from the written to the verbal! Then, if you're lucky, from the verbal to the physical. If you're really lucky, you'll got from the physical back to the verbal again, and if you're spectacularly lucky, all the way back to the written again. Better living through modern chemists. Good luck.

BrightStar (B*) said...

oh, man... that first phone call could really rock, though. You might talk for hours and think his voice is great!

I'm cracking up at the reference to better living through chemists above.

Pink Cupcake said...

LOL at the idea of him having a voice like a chipmunk!

Good luck with the call. Hope it goes really well...

Bardiac said...

I hope you have a great call.

(And that he has a wonderfully inviting, warm voice that says the right things.)

Anonymous said...

good luck, hope it goes well! And yes, what bardiac said.

krisluvswool said...

Aww! I love the butterflies that come along with that kind of first contact!!! Well, I wish you lots of luck.

~profgrrrrl~ said...

Ooh, hope it's a good call. And hope he gives good voice. Totally sucks when they sound squeaky or otherwise weird on the phone, esp if you don't already really know the person.

Seeking Solace said...

Hope he has a good voice!!! Can't wait for the update!