Tuesday, February 14, 2006

The Time-Consuming Nature of Internet Dating

I just spent the past 1 1/2 hours dealing with all of my prospective suitors. DAMN. This is kind of hard work. The multiple choice questions. The essay questions. Figuring out what I "must have" in a relationship and what I "can't stand." Oh, and I had to find pictures of myself that were somewhat non-hideous with which to attempt to woo suitors. (In one of the ones I picked my right eye is kind of closed, if that tells you how many pictures I have of myself. Now, if I could just put a picture of my cat, I'd have OODLES to choose from.) All of this is very time-consuming.

(Incidentally, I saw the picture of the pilot, and I'm intrigued.... And I've got another bachelor who's begun communication. Not a single one of these dudes is over 5'10." I'm beginning to think that online dating is the land of the not-very-tall man. Ah well. As long as they don't expect me to wear flats, I'm not going to be uber-judgmental right off the bat.)

Edited to add:

I found a way to answer that "romantic date when you've been together for a thousand years" question that's basically a non-answer. I harp a lot on specificity, and I basically put any successful romantic evening down to 1) looking nice for each other and 2) making sure there aren't interruptions (no cell phones, etc.) and the rest should be specific to the particular couple. I know, I'm kind of an ass. Why couldn't I just come up with something? Why couldn't I commit? I think I fell into essay exam mode where you turn the prompt around in order to say what you want to say, answering the question sort of but actually taking issue with the question. I always was good at an essay exam....

4 comments:

New Kid on the Hallway said...

Man-Kitty would bring in the responses in droves! (Not, of course, that you won't, but yes, I have a gazillion more pics of my cats than myself...)

chutry said...

Funny, I've always thought that Internet dating was the land of the ultra-tall woman. I'm 5'8" and perfectly happy to date women who are taller than me or who wear heels, but the number of online dating women who are tall (at least in my experience) seems somewhat high.

Chuck
http://chutry.wordherders.net

Dr. Crazy said...

Interesting, Chuck, very interesting. I think that perhaps you are actually right in your assessment and that I'm, well, not wrong exactly but I would suspect that in the regular world that there are a lot more guys in the 5'8"-5'11" range than there are girls in that same range. Note, however, that I didn't say that the online dating men are ULTRA-short... just not-very-tall. Totally important distinction. (Though there is one guy I was matched with who's only 5'6", and I do think he's ultra-short, at least for me.)

chutry said...

I caught your comment earlier but was running off to class and could respond. "Ultra-tall" was intentional overstatement on my part, and yeah, more guys are likely to be in that height range than women.

If I weren't so lazy, I'd dig around and see how average heights match up in the dating world...