Wednesday, February 01, 2006

A Scattered, Perhaps Unintelligible Post

After doing 30+ conferences in three days, I can barely string two words together. Nevertheless, I am going to use this moment of a break that I've got to do so, even though I know a student is sitting outside my closed office door. [Tip to student: if you've signed up for an appointment at 1:15, do not assume that I will be available to you at 12:30. My door was closed, and though I did answer when you knocked - which I now recognize was a mistake - that did not mean that I was going to let you barge in and have your conference while I was trying to eat my lunch. Appointments have specified time for a reason. Not exactly rocket science, no?]

At any rate, the conferences have been grueling but also illuminating (as has the grading of their first formal papers been).

Illuminations:
1) Many of them are very excited by the class.
2) The second section seems to be stronger than the first, and I'd originally thought it would be the other way around.
3) I have chosen a theme that all people seem to enjoy. All I can say, after struggling to find one of these, his Hallelujah, Praise Allah, etc.
4) People really shouldn't meet individually with 40+ people over a three-day period, as it is far too much face-time.
5) I think I'm coming down with a cold.

How am I going to make it through the next hour? Just how?

No comments: