Thursday, January 11, 2007

A Conversation with the Man-Kitty


Dr. Crazy arrives home from a tough day of teaching.


Dr. C: Hello, Man-Kitty, and how are you today?
M-K: Oh, I'm quite well. I wasn't feeling so well earlier - be careful that you don't step on that hairball by the bathroom door.
Dr. C: Oh! You really weren't feeling well! Thank you for warning me about the mess, though. And of course I'll be happy to clean it up!

Dr. Crazy cleans up hair ball. Wow, cats are kind of gross, aren't they? As Dr. Crazy then makes her way toward the kitchen, she notices that something is awry.

Dr. C: Man-Kitty! Why are the phone and answering machine on the floor? And, hey, the answering machine power cord is disconnected! What goes on here when I'm not home?
M-K: Well. You're really going to laugh when you hear this. See, I was having a snack to.. um... cleanse my palate after my unfortunate sickness of the morning, when the phone rang. I thought that I should try to answer the call, thinking that since the phone doesn't normally ring during the day that it may be an emergency, and I might be able to help.
Dr. C: Man-Kitty, you don't actually speak English.
M-K: Maybe not to you.
Dr. C: Look, I just cleaned up your sick, so be nice. So you tried to answer the phone?
M-K: Oh yes.
Dr. C: How did that work out for you?
M-K: See, this is where the story gets funny. I hadn't fully realized how difficult it would be to try to hold a phone between my paws (you know, those little tufts of hair that come out of them really make for slippery handling) with the receiver to my ear. And so upon attempting to get the phone, I lost my balance, and began to fall off the ledge on which the phone and the machine are placed. I tried to hang on - really, I did, - at which point all - me, the phone, and the machine - came crashing down.
Dr. C: So did you see who called on the caller ID?
M-K: I'm a cat. I don't read English. Duh.

Luckily, the Mystery Caller did ultimately get into contact with Dr. Crazy. With some really fucking fantastic news that Dr. Crazy can't really discuss on the internet.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow - what a really nice ear you have :) You should be Dr. Mysterious...

Anonymous said...

Hey, congrats on whatever the great news might be! (And in the meanwhile, this was pretty damn funny. Love that Man-Kitty.)

Anonymous said...

I love the Man-Kitty conversation and that photo is great- he must be meowing. Is he a "talker"? My cat is quite THE talker...

helenesch said...

Congrats on the fantastic news! And thanks for sharing the M-K story--it was pretty cute! Maybe he just made it look like an accident, and he really had a private conversation with your bearer-of-good news himself... cats can be sneaky like that, y'know.

Margo, darling said...

Unfair! Can you at least give your loyal readers a hint? A baby tiny hint?

Dr. Crazy said...

First of all, on my ear:

I actually considered not posting this picture because my ear looks kind of deformed because of the way strands of my hair are falling over it. Also because of the crazy kitchen counter in the background. (We were in the middle of house-cleaning when the pic was taken, and the M-K had leaped onto my shoulder during a break in the cleaning, and I decided it would definitely make a good picture. Also, I look like I have man-hands, I feel. But that is the ledge described in the post, which was why I posted the picture in spite of my reservations.)

As for the tiny baby hint.... remember how I'm on the job market? Well, it's related to that :)

Miranda said...

Congrats! I am happy for your good news today.

itinerarium said...

Exceptionally articulate, man-kitty. And of course he tried to answer the phone - he's clearly psychic about good news, so many many congrats.

Hilaire said...

Yay for you re the good news!! O, yay!

Also: thank you for the Man-Kitty news. Fabulous fun.

Anonymous said...

Cheers to you for the good news!!!

Dr. Virago said...

Yay! I'm glad to hear the new is what I guessed it was! Woo hoo! Congrats!

Margo, darling said...

Thanks, Dr. C. I was hoping that's what it's about. Congrats.

Anonymous said...

The first thing that occured to me when I read your post was: MK is answering the phone because he knows it must be . . . uh, good news? I think it's fantastic.

Unknown said...

Hey, that's great news! Keep us as posted as you feel comfortable with....that was a hideously stilted sentence, but you know what I mean!

Anyway, M-K is hilarious! And congrats!!

Margaret said...

Hee hee hee-- I am so excited by your good news, and as always, charmed by Man Kitty!

Anonymous said...

are you using anything akin to masking fluid on these?

Anonymous said...

The above comment, by me, was posted to an art blog, anonymously, the previous day, and I posted something here, or so I thought, about wanting a phone answering cat at work.

Now I look, and I see my other comment, somehow ended up here as well. And now I am completely confused. And you should ignore the above comment as it has no relevance to anything here.

I am flaberghasted. And a little amazed. Sorry to ramble.

**P.s. This is Jesse of DowntheTrodden, I moved.

Mel said...

excellent news!

New Kid on the Hallway said...

Congrats on the good news!!