Friday, February 01, 2008

Still Basking in the Glow

Well, I'm still basking in the glow of the great day that was yesterday, and so far today I've accomplished some follow-up correspondence related to permissions stuff and paid bills. The bill-paying was, for the first time in a long time, not a stressful ordeal, because it turns out the whole financial resolutions for the new year have resulted in taking some of the stress out of the process. Looking over the credit card situation, I suspect that I'll have one card paid off by summer. The second card I should be able to get paid off by fall. That just leaves the one with the highest balance, and IF summer teaching works out, I should be able to get that paid off by January. If summer teaching doesn't work out, well, the goal to get out of credit card debt will not be achieved this year. However, I will be MUCH closer to being credit-card-debt-free, and will definitely be able to accomplish that by 2010. Something about taking control of this has actually made me feel much less stressed about money, and I actually feel like I've got *more* money than when I was ignoring the debt situation, even though I technically have less cash to spend.

In other news, I feel compelled to spread the word that The Potato (love of my life) is a gateway drug and is very dangerous indeed. After the delicious soup of yesterday afternoon, I felt totally sluggish and decided to take a late-afternoon nap. During this nap, I had a lengthy dream that entirely consisted of me deep-frying things. In the dream, I cheffed up some onion rings, some *deep-fried pizza* (which really seemed like quite a wonderful dream-invention, but then I told somebody about the dream who claimed to have eaten this marvelous thing and that it was awesome), and homemade old-fashioned donuts. (I should note I've never actually cooked any of these things myself. I do think it's a good sign that in the dream I didn't actually eat any of what I was cooking.) I woke up thinking that I might lose my mind and eat my weight in crap, but thankfully I had no crap in the house and so the whole episode passed without me going way off track. But what this tells me is that I must be very careful of The Potato. I think it's impossible for me to be a social or casual user. Indeed, my name is Dr. Crazy, and I am addicted to potatoes.

So that's my report on this Friday. It's a gray and gloomy day, and I'm considering whether I should try to do some more work or whether I should take to my bed with the kitty-cat and a book. A third option would be to see if I can get in to get a trim for my bangs. We shall see.

7 comments:

Rokeya said...

Wow, that is some dream! I, too, love the potato, so I understand (though I really don't like deep fried things).

Dr. Crazy said...

You know, I'm not generally much of an eater of deep-fried things.... I think this was my subconscious just going off the deep end, because seriously I can't remember the last time I had an onion ring or a donut of any kind, and the deep-fried pizza thing, well, that just seemed weird more than anything.

Sisyphus said...

Ha! You'll have to start blogging your experiences with Potatoes Anonymous.

Congrats on the article solicitation! Whoo-hoo!

EcoGeoFemme said...

Deep fried Snickers is yummy. I can only imagine the glory of deep fried pizza.

Belle said...

Potato dependent. Yikes. There are so many hazards out there. See, deep fried snickers or pizza? Not tempting to me. However, keep me away from ice cream. Watermelon. Pie. I don't even try to resist chocolate.

Vivid dreams are all too common for me. Mine was picking up a huge (8 ft) sheet cake for a disliked colleague and hiking 5 miles to do it. All the while knowing that my department was going to hire the stalker. Dreams are disconcerting. But potato related?

Bardiac said...

Cheese. It's all about cheese. On potato skins, for example. /nod

Congrats on getting the debt stuff under control and moving in the right direction. It's so hard, but I, too, feel way better about things when I have a sense of some control.

(And a belated congrats on the award nomination! Way to go!)

~profgrrrrl~ said...

I had to eat a potato tonight (baked, no topping, stopped at one) because I couldn't get this post out of my head.