Wednesday, November 21, 2007

A Thanksgiving Post

This year, I had decided not to do Thanksgiving. This is a pretty big deal, as Thanksgiving is by far my absolute favorite holiday, and I've cooked Thanksgiving Dinner every Thanksgiving, in fact, since 1999. But with the book deadline fast approaching and with all of the grading I have and how chaotic things are at the moment, I thought it wisest not to do Thanksgiving.

And then I realized that in spite of my plan "not to do" Thanksgiving that somehow I ended up buying all of the fixings for a full Thanksgiving spread (minus the turkey, because even I'm not fool enough to make a turkey for one - I'd planned to roast a chicken instead). Apparently, Thanksgiving is a holiday I do, whatever my intentions, sort of like how my mom does Christmas. So I was feeling vaguely silly this morning, as I realized what I was doing, but apparently, much like the field of dreams, if you build it they will come, for BFF's Thanksgiving Plans fell through when her cat Flo got a tummy-ache yesterday, and so now it will be the Thanksgiving of BFF and Crazy! Hurrah!

But so that is the first thing that I am thankful for on this Thanksgiving Eve. What else does Crazy feel thankful for?

  • I am thankful that my book is almost done. I've been making a major push, and I expect to mail the thing off on Monday.
  • I am thankful that I'm finally giving my house a good cleaning, something only possible because I'm "not doing" Thanksgiving for real. I know, this seems counterintuitive given the above, but there you are.
  • I am thankful that my mom and stepdad were so great about us not doing Thanksgiving together this year, and I'm thankful that they're just so generally great (even if they do annoy me when we're in the same place).
  • I am thankful for my crew of awesome friends, and I'm most especially thankful that I'll get to spend some qual. time with A. on Friday.
  • I am thankful for the great students that I have this semester. I really lucked out with the makeup of my classes, and I feel spoiled by how engaged and interested so many of them are.
  • I am thankful for my sweet Man-Kitty, as anybody would be, really, if they had the pleasure of his company.
I could go on, but suffice it to say that I have a lot for which I am thankful, and one thing especially that I'm not sure how to articulate in a bullet point but that sooner or later I'm going to have to find a way to write about, I think. Or maybe not. Maybe one thing for which I should be thankful is that there is something going on in my life that seems special enough to protect from the narrative of the blog. And now it's time to get back to the Day of Productivity. Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! (Who am I kidding? I'll probably post tomorrow, too, but I suppose this will be the Official Post of Thanks in any case.)

3 comments:

k8 said...

Have a Happy Thanksgiving, yourself!

BTW, I am fool enough to consider making a whole turkey for one - I envision all of the soup-related possibilities for the remains. ;-)

Dr. Crazy said...

Oh, K8, I'm fool enough to *consider* making a whole turkey for one, for just the reason you describe. I just didn't let it go further than consideration because I know I don't have time to make stock and soup and all that this year :)

MommyProf said...

I was 9 months preggers at Thanksgiving last year, so I did Rachael Ray's 30-minute Thanksgiving. It was awesome. I'll be doing the whole shebang this year. I love Thanksgiving, too.