Tuesday, November 06, 2007

On Doing My Civic Duty

I managed to drag myself to the polls, where my vote likely won't make a damned bit of difference in this here red state in which I live, but I'm feeling very proud that I went and did it anyway. The little old people at the polling place were very excited when I came in, and well, I just love voting. This love stretches back to childhood, when I'd go to the polls with my mom or grandma, and really, the fact that my first election that I was legal to vote in was the 1992 presidential race only reinforced that love. Of course, I'm all jaded now, after four years of living in this place, where never has a candidate for whom I've voted actually won an election, but still.

And to think I almost forgot it was election day!

At any rate, now I'm home, and I'm exhausted, and tomorrow I've got a day of conferences stretching before me. The exhaustion just increases tenfold when I think about those. I think it's time to settle in for a nice, quiet night, in which I attempt to recharge for the grueling day tomorrow that lies before me.

3 comments:

Belle said...

In 2000 election, the poll workers here blessed those who voted for shrub. Literally looked at the ballot, beamed at the voter(s) and said "God bless you."

I didn't get blessed, but that made me feel better for some odd reason....

Unknown said...

I think 'your' guys mostly won this year.

Arbitrista said...

Yeah, living in red state areas is tough. I used to live in one, and had to take a vicarious thrill for good news in OTHER places. Good for you for voting anyway!