Monday, November 13, 2006

On Not Writing

I've got writing I need to be doing. Not writing, really, but polishing. As in making my book manuscript all shiny and fancy in the event that anybody ever is interested in it. I had intended that I would do some work on it today. I didn't.

I'm trying not to beat myself up about this. I had other things that I had to do that were pressing (typing up some minutes for a committee, grading, reading for my class tomorrow, working out, reviewing grad applications for a 7:45 (!!!) AM meeting tomorrow, making shopping lists for thanksgiving as well as for some clothes-shopping I plan to do in the next two days), but I'm still kind of mad at myself for putting the manuscript on the back-burner.

I'm kind of thinking that I'm going to do the realistic thing, which is to put off work on it until later in the week. Thursday I'll be able to get out of the office by 2 PM, and that means that I can spend two hours on it on Thursday. There is nothing wrong with that. Really.

(Why I've put myself in this position where I have to polish the thing while also freaking out in this waiting phase of the job search as well as with the semester careening toward its inevitable conclusion and with having to do thanksgiving next week, I'm not entirely sure. Oh yeah. That's right. This was my brilliant plan that was going to keep my mind off of freaking out about the job market. I'm awesome.)

At any rate, as I need to get up for a 7:45 AM meeting !!!! tomorrow, I will now sign off and take to my bed with The Golden Compass (which, incidentally, I'm pretty enchanted by now that I'm a bit further in. Now that we've got Mrs. Coulter and the Gobblers and all of that, I'm pretty psyched to see what happens next.)

No comments: