- Why, when the Greek called last night, did I not answer the phone?
- Why, when the Greek left a message, did he not leave his phone number so that I could return the call?
- Why didn't I eat breakfast?
- Why do I have to teach today?
- Why did I agree to attend a luncheon this afternoon instead of telling them to send my certificate of completion in campus mail?
- Why did I agree to attend a reception tomorrow afternoon, on paper-turn-in-day, when under non-reception circumstances I'd be in my office wearing yoga pants and sneakers?
- Because I was wicked exhausted and when the phone rang I was asleep and drooling. Not a good state of mind for a first phone conversation.
- Because he's married? Lives with a girlfriend? Lives with his mother? Is paranoid about being stalked?
- Because the block of time reserved for "breakfast" was spent instead on "snoozing."
- Because I am being paid back for some horrible crime I committed in a past life.
- Because I am an idiot. Also because I always think that these sorts of things sound good and will make me look collegial and that they won't be painful until I have to go to them.
- Because I forgot that if I do this reception thing I'd have to dress up - at least a little.