These committees are so important that there would be a department vote for who would serve as our representative. The thing is, if I chose to be nominated, I think I'd most likely win.
- I really do care about the work that these committees do.
- I think I'd be a really strong advocate for our department.
- Strong service in this area would give me exposure university-wide, and would contribute to developing skills that could lead me into administration someday, should I want to head in that direction.
- This would be my way off of a university-wide committee on which I serve currently that I think is totally stupid.
- Taking this on would be time-consuming.
- This is my first year post-tenure, and a large part of me wants not to take on something of this magnitude.
- There is no reason why I really have to do this now. It's not like I won't be able to do this service in the future if I want.
- I've got a big professional service thing that I need to begin organizing in earnest throughout this year, and that plus this may effectively put the kibosh on any kind of real research agenda. Or not. I don't know.
I think I need to discuss it with my chair.
In the meantime, though, what do you all think?