Friday, August 10, 2007

Ugh

This is about the gajillionth time that I've started this post. I've started to write about the funk I'm in (too depressing) and also a post about crying (WAY too depressing). I've started to write about my thoughts about my hair, and the only thing to say is that I'm bored and that I'm thinking about growing it out, which is perhaps the most boring possible solution to hair boredom. I've thought about writing a response to Tenured Radical's post about theory, but I just don't have the energy for that, and I also don't have the energy to write a post about single-authoring vs. co-authoring in academe (which a friend suggested I should write, I think because a) we've talked a bit about the topic or b) because he'd rather I not write about other things we've talked about lately). Speaking of things that I've talked about with that friend lately, I've thought about writing about those conversations and about things I'm thinking related to those, but that brings us back into depressing territory. I've started writing about the block I seem to be experiencing with research-writing, and I've started writing about the block that I seem to be experiencing with blogging (which I think has to do with the research stuff). I've started writing about the funk that I seem to be in over the past couple of weeks (but again with the depressing). So I have chosen, apparently, to write a post about all of what I'm not posting about because it's all lame, depressing, boring, shallow, or requires to much energy. I have high hopes that in doing this, I will ultimately find my way back to having things to say.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

"If you don't have anything to say, be silent"

You seem to be writing about not being in the mood of writing. Why? Why not just stop blogging for a while, if you write about nothing?

On the other hand...
Not being in the mood is a subject too. Writing about it may not only help you get over it, but also help other people to get over their block because they can empathize with you.

Currently, I am in a similar kind of block myself. That's one of the reasons why I don't blog very much lately. I started several entries too,but then deleted them before publishing.

What has been the effect? I spent hours behind the computer with no result - at least not tangible. Some might say it's a waste of time, but I argue that I do some processing of thoughts.

Thank you for sharing your struggle with us!

ajowen said...

You've written a lot before about how the voice you have here affects what you can write about. I've read in other places that the trust you have with real life people also may depend on what/how you write here. I'd have a hard time if I had a lot going on in my own head coming up with something else to write about to honor that trust or stay within that voice. *Hugs*

Scrivener said...

I've been doing a lot of not-blogging about the terrible funk I'm in, too. Hope your mood improves soon.

Tenured Radical said...

Hang in there, Doc: I'm in a funk too, and thought tht writing a snappy post might get me out of it, but it didn;t, so I spent yesterday afternoon eating ice cream and buying books.

And now I'm going to try again. I htink what is wrong is that it is August, and everything we haven't finished is fucking haunting us.

TR

Flavia said...

Just came over here to say that I feel you--with the funk and the crying and the blogging- and researching-block--but it seems I'm not the only one.

Best wishes for bushwacking your way out of this.