Monday, August 20, 2007

RBOC: First Day of School Edition

  • You know what sucks? That I STILL get that night-before-the-first-day-of-school feeling, which means I don't fall asleep until like two hours after I want to do so on the night before the first day of school, even though I've been doing this for THIRTY FULL YEARS NOW (if we count nursery school). And yes, I get a mild case of it in spring semester, but this fall nonsense is totally out of control.
  • (Warning: this bullet is totally disgusting.) For the past 3 days I've been battling what my friends and I refer to as a "cigarette burn zit." This variety of facial affliction, in case you for some reason don't know what I mean, starts out below the surface of the skin and is quite painful. You may even resort to hot compresses, because it seems to just grow and grow with the passing days and you fear that if you don't bring the thing to a head that it might take over your whole face (this thing first began appearing like a week ago). And it doesn't quite come to a head, but you think to yourself around day 3 or 4 that it wouldn't hurt to mess about with it a bit. It then becomes a bizarre combination of pimple and irritated dry skin, which closely resembles the burn of a cigarette, and you then begin applying neosporin to it hoping that it will make it go away, but still you've got this thing that looks like a cigarette burn in the middle of your face. And it's hard to cover up because the skin is so dry. Except maybe still it's better than a huge lump in the middle of one's face? In other words, I look awfully pretty for my first day of school. And it's all my own fault because we all know better than to pick at our faces.
  • Except of course that picking at one's face is something that I also tend to do when I'm anxious (see bullet #1).
  • I have so much to do that I'm feeling awfully overwhelmed. Must be careful not to pick fights with people, as that's something I do in times such as these, without even realizing I'm doing it. (And yes, Mountain Man, that's a veiled apology for how I ended our conversation last night, because I know I was a jackass, especially after you'd sweetly listened to me freak out and tried in your way to make me feel better.)
  • I hate all of my clothes.
  • Wow! I'm being awfully negative in this post. Wonder where all of this is coming from? Ah, it is the start of PMS time! This explains a HUGE amount. In other words, I shall be less cranky in just one week's time. Hurrah!
  • Ok, time to jump in the shower and to make my way to my first class of the school year. Please send good traffic/parking vibes my way, for I shall need them!

6 comments:

heu mihi said...

Have fun! Good parking!

phd me said...

I know exactly what you're talking about as I have one of those suckers on my chin right now. Never heard the term "cigarette burn zit" but pretty well sums it up. When am I finally too old for this?

Dr. Crazy said...

Thanks for the good parking wishes, JB, but I'm sorry to report that the parking situation filled me with rage. How much do I pay for parking a year? Over 200 dollars. How many vehicles without proper permits were in my lot this morning? Well, I counted 10, but I suspect that there were more. How many parking people were out doing their jobs? None. How many responses have I received to my peeved email that I sent upon arriving? Zero. This means war.

MommyProf said...

When said zit is still in the festering stage, putting an ice cube on it for 1/2 hour really brings the swelling down. I'm pretty sure I'm older than you and I still get them, sad to say.

Sisyphus said...

I had heard those zits referred to as "undergrounders" --- no one else can see them yet but your whole face on that side hurts like you wouldn't believe! Alternating toner and clearasil dries it up but then you have a non-swollen scaly dry patch on your face. Ah well...

krisluvswool said...

Yes, I know all about those cigarette burn zits... because I get one to two of those EVERY month and yet I STILL cannot resist doing what I know I shouldn't do :(