Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Turf Wars

One of the most frustrating things about academic life, I find, is having to deal with people who don't pay any attention to the big picture but spend more time staking their claim and protecting their own interests. (Note: I realize that there are people like that everywhere, but I don't have to deal with them.) I'm not saying that it's wrong to take care of oneself or that one should throw oneself under the bus for one's institution or colleagues. It's not, and people shouldn't. But it's one thing to take care of oneself and another thing to stupidly fight over whatever turf is in question, completely disregarding the broader context that will be affected by these tiny victories.

Whatever. All I know is that this sort of stuff drives me nuts, and, as a person who tends to think more about the big picture than details, I really despise when I am made to become part of these sorts of battles.

2 comments:

Annie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dean Dad said...

Testify!

Can I get an 'amen'?