Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Cranky, and Yet Productive

This happens every year in the couple or 4 weeks leading up to my birthday. I fall into this crummy funk, wherein I'm bored, and yet not in the mood to do fun things, and I create all of this anxiety about all of the stuff I "should" be doing. Now, in some respects I chalk this up to normal mid-summer doldrums. You know, it's like when you're a kid and you just get sick of summer and you miss school (or maybe you all didn't, but I know I did), not because the homework is fun or anything but because you see a bunch of people every day and you (sometimes) learn cool stuff and, well, you're busy.

Well, for me, as a professor, I start feeling the same way right around this time of year. It's not that I miss the work of the school year, or the grading, or the waste-of-time meetings, but I do start to feel bored and contentious. So what have I been doing to make myself feel better?

I just finished one of my syllabi for the fall. No, I'm not kidding.

And that means I've only got one syllabus left to finish of the three that I will use. Nope, not kidding about that either.

Oh, and I should admit that part of this is also a weird procrastination thing, because I've got shit to do around the house (especially because the Mommy of Crazy is coming to visit this weekend) and I need to take the kitty-cat to get a mani/pedi and I need to work on other crap that's slightly more pressing than getting syllabi done.

But it's 1 PM and I've been working on this stupid Survey syllabus for 3 hours. I think it's time for me to call it a day and go to the pool.

No comments: