Friday, December 19, 2008

2/4 Classes Graded

I've decided just to change my last whiny post rather than to post a new post above it. I feel like not being whiny. So now I just have two classes left to go, which I will finish up tomorrow. I think that's completely reasonable as timelines go.

In other news, it's so weird, the whole tenure thing. I sort of can't believe it. Nothing's actually changed really, but it's like this huge weight has been lifted. I've got to say, it's very nice indeed. And as much as I've resisted the discourse of luckiness about having a t-t gig in this profession, I'm actually feeling lucky to have made it this far and to be in the position I'm in. That's not to discount the work that was involved, but at the same time, I'm certainly feeling like counting my blessings, and this is one. I have so much shit to do it's ridiculous, but I think I'm going to procrastinate a bit. Why? Because I'm an idiot.

Anyway, I think my students will be happy with their grades. There's nothing like a recently tenured professor to surprise you with grades that are to your liking. Not that they didn't bust their asses to earn them, but still. I am infected with the spirit of Christmas and Tenure, and I know I'm being more generous than is typically my way. As I am lucky, so too are my students.

And so now I will putter around and shower and go meet with my students and then I will come home and clean like a maniac. Indeed, this is the plan for the rest of the day.

5 comments:

~profgrrrrl~ said...

I actually think my grading has gotten harder since tenure. And I write more comments than ever. Makes no sense, but ...

Anyway, it is nice to not have the pressure any more, isn't it? You'll probably enjoy the holidays in a whole new way.

Dr. Crazy said...

In no small part because this will be my first year in like 4 that I haven't gone to MLA! So yes, this holiday season shall be grand.

If the past day is any indication, I'm a worse person than you, for the hard thing about grading for me is actually doing the grading. I feel very inclined not to read the things and just to slap grades on willy nilly,. This is wrong.

hylonome said...

Thank you for the phrase "infected with the spirit of Christmas and Tenure." I too just learned about tenure--and feel incredibly lucky in this grim job season to be where I am--and have seen a corresponding generosity emerge in my grading of final papers. 'Oh, why not bump this paper up a little (say from a C+ to a B-), x-student has improved a lot/worked hard/overcome some difficulty this semester': this has become something of a mantra for me over the past few days.

Now if only I didn't have to go to MLA. Congratulations!

~profgrrrrl~ said...

I can relate to that feeling re: grading. For some reason this year (term) I've felt very "You want to know why I'm not giving you an A? Oh, let me tell you all the reasons why ..."

I am forever grateful for being in a field that does not do a conference over the holidays. Holidays are for cake, presents, and booze, not conferences.

Mel said...

yay, congratulations on tenure! I'm so happy for you!