Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Ooh! A Music Meme!

As seen at Anastasia's and Scrivener's....

Step 1: Put your MP3 player or whatever on random.
Step 2: Post the first line from the first 25 songs that play, no matter how embarrassing the song.
Step 3: Post and let everyone you know guess what song and artist the lines come from.
Step 4: Strike through when someone gets them right I'm bolding because I can't be bothered to the html for striking through:)
Step 5: Looking them up on Google or any other search engine is CHEATING. So is looking at my last.fm feed for the last hour or so…

  1. I'm in a sad mood tonight
  2. The moment I wake up
  3. Been tryin' to meet you! Mmmmm.
  4. Take my photo off the wall if it just won't sing for you.
  5. You'll never see the courage I know.
  6. Birdie in the hand for life's rich demand
  7. A single rose in your garden dwells
  8. White lines on your mind
  9. Inside your pretending
  10. I looked at your face I saw that all the love had died
  11. It seems this boy's bathed in ridicule
  12. Dark I am yet lovely as tents of Kedar
  13. An open road where I can breathe
  14. Days like this I don't know what to do with myself
  15. Leaves are falling all around
  16. She said do these seats fold down
  17. Man I promise, she's so self-conscious
  18. Black birds slow and softly breaks a glass of wine
  19. I was happy in the haze of a drunken hour
  20. We know it's wrong to let this fire burn between us
  21. Don't touch, kid, sleep with the lights on
  22. I've been thinkin' that you've crossed the line
  23. You keep on tellin' me these pretty little lies!
  24. I took the train back, back to where I came from
  25. All the world just stopped now
Ok, now back to the grading. Le sigh. But might I just say that I was very excited by what the shuffle picked. I was waiting to have to include some reading of Byron from the Brit Lit anthology survey disk I've got in here.

21 comments:

Compson said...

Ooo, ooo!
I really need to be grading, but I cannot resist.
2. "Say a Little Prayer" -- Aretha, Dionne, etc.
4. "Look What You've Done" -- Jet
6. "Begin the Begin" -- REM
19. and my personal favorite, "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now" -- the Smiths

Fifi Bluestocking said...

This is so totally lame but the only one I know that hasn't yet been guessed is:
1) Sad Mood - Sam Cooke

Nope said...

3. Hey - the Pixies

negativecapability said...

25. "Tear in your hand" - Tori Amos. I fucking love that song.

Hey, I would have totally caught the Byron. If I were to do this meme, it would undoubtedly include snippets from German class :).

Sisyphus said...

21, Phenomena, The Yeah Yeah Yeahs --- I love them!

I'll come back and guess more later ... some of them I hear but don't remember, if that makes sense...

Dr. Crazy said...

I love that this meme is so participatory! Hurrah!

But can I just say that I'm totally shocked and appalled that nobody's yet to guess #15? I totally want to give a hint, so appalled am I, but I will wait to see whether anyone happens along without such aid :)

negativecapability said...

Oh, and 15? I can't believe I didn't get it right away either. "Ramble On" - Led Zeppelin. (from one who owns the boxed set of all 13 albums...). Without the next line: "time I was on my way," it just didn't ring the bell initially.

Anonymous said...

18) Firecracker, Ryan Adams?

Dr. Crazy said...

Rock on, NC! I knew SOMEBODY had to be one with me in my love of getting the Led out!

And indeed, you are correct, Lina, with your answer for 18.

PMG said...

No. 14 is a quote from the Bible. Are you being accidentally outed as the owner of an iPod full of praise music?

PMG said...

Oops, I meant no. 12!

Dr. Crazy said...

Hee! I'd love it if 14 were a quote from the Bible :)

At any rate, no, I am not a secret owner of praise music. This was from the ONE album that might have produced such a first line in my collection. And this particular album is brilliant, by the by. I'll let it lie for a bit, but if nobody gets it (though I feel like Anastasia should be able to), I shall provide a hint :)

Ellen said...

5. Fiona Apple, Never Is A Promise

...I think?

Dr. Crazy said...

Indeed, Ellen, this is correct. Now, I need to chastise some people for not getting #17. Come on, does nobody listen to the rap music?

And a clue about the #12: Shaved head.

The Angry Swan said...

Delurking for #20: "We'll Sweep Out the Ashes in the Morning," Emmylou Harris and Gram Parsons.

Maude said...

ah, no. 12 would be from sinead's latest album, but i don't know the name of the song.

is no. 8 grandmaster flash?

Dr. Curmudgeon said...

24's Tegan & Sara's "Hop a Plane" (which also appeared on my 25).

And isn't #9 Portishead's "Dummy"?

I could guess at more, but I don't want to steal the fun.

Dr. Crazy said...

Maude: Indeed, it is from Theology. The name of the song is pathetically simple, as it is Dark I Am Yet Lovely :) In other words, you get it. You're wicked off on #8 though.

And yes indeed, Curmudgeon, we both had that song come up in our shuffle:) I didn't weigh in with yours on that because I felt like it was cheating :) And you're right about Portishead, but it's not "Dummy."

Dr. Crazy said...

Ok, so now it's time for some hints, for I seem to want, for whatever reason, for people to guess my playlist.

7. Magnetic Fields
8. Regina Spektor
9. Portishead
10. Nelly Furtado (I know, sue me.)
11. Franz Ferdinand
13. Beck
14. Fiona Apple
16. Billy Bragg
17. Kanye West (DUDE! How can you people not get this one?)
22. Lily Allen
23. Louis XIV

Dr. Curmudgeon said...

Ack...the album is "Dummy", the song is "Mysterious," right?

Scrivener said...

I knew #13 was from Odelay. I had to actually go and listen to the album again to remember which song. It's "Readymade"