Friday, April 25, 2008

I Really Shouldn't Be Talking about This

But let's just note that there is a litter of wee kittens being fostered by Crazy's Kitty Dealer (indeed, kittens are a drug) and that CKD knew that I've been thinking for ages that the Man-Kitty needs a companion, and well....

OH MY GOD THEY ARE SO AMAZING! AND ONE SHALL BE MINE! I SHALL GET THE FIRST PICK! HURRAH!

Now, I met them all today (and they are so sweet! and only about four weeks old!) and they're all boys, so that takes that part of the decision out of the equation. Now, one of them is stripey



But the others are all black.



Now, I've got to say, the stripey fellow really took a liking to me immediately, and I really do feel that we bonded. But then there's also the fact that one of the black kitties HAS SIX TOES on one of his little paws. How can I resist a Hemingway kitty cat? And after Mr. Stripey Fellow mewed until I picked him up, then Mr. Hemingway Kitty attempted to leap from the box in which he was kept to make an escape and then was very happy indeed when I abandoned Stripey to pay attention to him.

And no, I will not be taking two kittens. I will not go the way of three cats until I have an actual house. A girl has to draw the line somewhere.

But so anyway, the Ever-Excellent Man-Kitty should be getting a... brother? Partner in crime? Nemesis? BFF? in about 3-4 weeks. This promises to be quite the adventure for all of us :)

(And I have been giving some thoughts to names, although I do not feel it's wise to name a kitty until you've gotten to know it a bit and you can tell whether the name fits the kitty. As I see it, there are two ways that I could go - I could either choose a name as officious as the Man-Kitty's real life name, or I could choose a name that is the total opposite of that, thus making the pair of them more hilarious together. It's hard to know which way to go. That said, I shall NOT be one of those English Professors with cleverly named cats that show you how clever I am. No indeed, for I feel this is kitty-cat exploitation. As soon as I've got real pics of the kitties I shall post them, which some might also call exploitation, but who doesn't love sweet, teeny, wee, kitties who were ABANDONED at a Petsmart? JUST WHO?)

13 comments:

Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

Oh, the extra-toed kitty would be lots of fun.... We have one with two extra toes on each front foot. He's really the best cat I've ever had -- very sweet, with just a bit of crazy in him....

Also, two boy kitties is an excellent idea, my boys have always been compatible -- hopefully Man Kitty will become nanny-cat to the new one.

Sisyphus said...

Kittens!!!!! OMFG Kittens!!!!

You must take the stripey one.

And who on earth could have the heart to abandon kittens at a Petsmart!?!?!?! Someone who does not know the supreme high of freebasing kitties, that's who!

Um, ok. That extension of your metaphor didn't turn out so good.

Snarky Prof said...

I have no idea if there is any truth to this, but, anecdotally, stripey cats seem to be a lot more mellow and friendly. Of the dozen or so people I know who have cats, it is agreed that the two of us with stripey cats have the most sociable animals. Also, for what it is worth which isn't much, I would avoid grey cats. All four of the ones owned by friends are mean and skitsy. Thanks for the pleasant diversion from the mountain of papers! :)

New Kid on the Hallway said...

Kittens!!! oh, man, the awesomeness!! I cannot wait for real kitten pics!!

I have known noble black kitties (like Eldest Cat, who is the neediest soppiest bugger you've ever seen) and I have known noble stripey kitties. My only comment is that shelters consider black cats harder to adopt out, and are more likely to euthanize them. This will probably not be an issue given your wonderful CKD, but you know, I throw it out there.

And my two boy cats get along great - they LOVE to play. Eldest Cat (boy) and Middle Cat (girl) get along great (Middle Cat was so tiny when I got her, I think Eldest Cat had the "she's a baby, I can't hurt her" reaction, and of course, I had Eldest Cat first, so Middle Cat never knew a time without him), but Middle Cat still hates Youngest Cat (boy). I think two of the same sex is a good plan. FWIW, in all cases introductions were a little rough - Man Kitty may not instantly love his new brother - but they'll get there. Oooooh, kittens!!!!!

life_of_a_fool said...

Hey Snarky Prof! I had an *incredibly* social and friendly (and a little needy) black cat! And a very sweet and sociable gray cat (though it is true that not everyone sees her sweetness - but that's just because she's spunky).

Choosing will be hard! But, at least you can't go wrong. . .

Susan said...

Oh, kittens are so cute. As for the pairings, I think if the kitten is sufficiently deferential, it works well. (When I was a kid, we got a second cat who was much more charming than our existing one, and the older one really freaked out.) Oh, and I've had lovely black and grey cats, though my favorite ever was a calico.

I want to get a cat (or two). . .

Belle said...

Oh, I vote for Stripey, as the immediate bond thing is very serious. It's the closest I come to that 'love at first sight' thing. And it's always worked with me and my feline babies. Not that I think you shouldn't have three cats; I was apartment bound and had three and they were lovely. Moving with three wasn't easy, but they always made it worth the trouble.

I've never understood people who don't need animals.

Dame Eleanor Hull said...

I think you should get two. But then, I have four, including a very sweet grey one. And Sir John keeps agitating for another one or two.

k8 said...

I would want them all! I don't know how you can choose - maybe you can convince people you know to adopt the others so that you can arrange kitty play dates. Of course, the play date idea probably works better with dogs or children.

helenesch said...

I vote for Stripey, too! And this was my thought even before you mentioned the bonding--he is just *so* adoreable! And I think Man-Kitty needs a little friend (even if he tells you otherwise...)

K said...

I have always wanted a black cat to name Behemoth, after the cat in The Master and Margarita. I hope the Man-Kitty approves of whichever playmate you choose for him!

Feirefiz said...

Hello: Hope you don't mind my commenting, but the stripey one is just gorgeous. The others are cute too. And bonding is really important. I would take the stripey one. Your picture's now making me want kittens, but I can't have more than two cats.

Doctor Pion said...

Those pictures are just begging to be LOL captioned into LOLcats. "Will you be my Mama?" "You mean there is a Man Kitty I can conquer with the Power of Cuteness?"