Saturday, December 02, 2006

Yes, I'm Aware It's 7 AM on a Saturday Morning

And all rational people are sleeping. I'm not sleeping though! I've been up since 5:30 AM! See, the Man-Kitty (who, incidentally, has now gone back to sleep, the little punk) woke me up ("Mrooowww! Give me some breakfast!!!! I don't know the difference between Saturday and weekdays! Meeeooooowwwww!"- and there was also some running across my body and then lying on my chest and doing the thing where he bathes my face as if I am a cat, licking his paw and then rubbing it on my face, as he does to clean his own face. What a weird little cat I have). I tried to go back to sleep but my brain was wide awake, so I decided I might as well use this time wisely and pay my bills. Can I just say that one thing I hate about the life of an academic is getting paid once a month?

So yes, I spent the past hour or so drinking coffee and looking at my finances, and I'm going to call my mom and bother her soon. Serves her right for all of those early morning calls on weekends when I was in grad school. I also still have to update the blogroll (no, I've not forgotten about that - I'm just slow), clean up around the house, go to the gym, laundry (maybe), grade, and work on the book manuscript. (I did get some work on the manuscript done this week, but I have a goal that I'm going to finish with my revisions on the intro this weekend. This was the most substantial bit of work that I needed to do on the thing - all of the other stuff is very superficial in the body of the manuscript because I've already been through the body a number of times post-diss. Let's say somebody wanted to see the completed manuscript immediately after I get the intro chapter finished - I could really within 24 hours send the thing off to them. I mean, sure, I probably wouldn't sleep during that 24 hours, but it could be done. That's not my plan or anything - to do things that way - but I'll feel much better when it would be possible to do such a thing, even if not ideal.)

Oh, and as I think I mentioned in a comment, I bought my MLA plane ticket last night. I was inspired by my fortune from the fortune cookie. So now everybody cross their fingers and send all of the good vibes you can spare my way. And I promise I'll talk about something other than my stupid angst related to the job search soon, although I do think I've got a post brewing about being on the market once one is in a job, which I think I need to write and then I can chill out a bit for at least a couple of weeks. Ok, I'm calling my mom. She won't be pleased, but well, I'm her kid and she has to put up with me :)

5 comments:

Dr. Peters said...

All rational people who don't have small children are asleep--glad to see I'm not alone out here this early! And I can sympathize with the brain-too-awake problem--I got up at 4:00 a.m. once this week and wrote for an hour then went back to bed because my paper was calling so loudly I couldn't sleep.

gwinne said...

I don't need to tell you this, but it only takes one. I've had--in 3 years on the market--a pathetic grand total of 4 MLA interviews. And 2 tenure track jobs. Here's hoping the plane ticket comes in handy! Best wishes.

Anonymous said...

what sarah said :) or maybe having small children makes you irrational. actually, that works.

Seeking Solace said...

My dog does the same thing! Nothing like a cold nose in your ear to wake you from a sound sleep!

New Kid on the Hallway said...

Okay, your university is messed up, because we get paid every other week. (Though I did once work somewhere with a 1x month pay cycle, and it did indeed suck.)

And I got up earlier than I wanted to this morning because of an insistent cat (an insistent orange cat!), too, but it wasn't till 8:30... that was just too early because I stayed up till 2 surfing the web obsessing over a new laptop bag. (No reason why - there's nothing wrong with my current one. I just like one that's $200+ better, so then I decided I had to see if there was a cheaper equivalent. There isn't. Boo.)

Sorry, that was random!