Saturday, January 21, 2006

Having Survived Friday....

Yes, I somehow survived the madness that was yesterday. I won't write more about the search process at the moment, as all that I want to write falls into one of two categories: 1) gossip about the candidate, which really isn't appropriate for a blog, so I'll limit my comments to the fact that we were pleased with the candidate's performance, though we've got two to go so who knows what will happen or 2) bitching about being on a search committee and the annoying aspects of collegiality, which also really isn't appropriate for a blog, so I'll limit my comments to the fact that I survived the day yesterday and went home and talked on the phone and had like 2 1/2 glasses of wine on which I was definitely tipsy as I've not had a drop of alcohol since the new year as I've been doing the whole watching of calories thing and so now I'm a totally cheap date when it comes to the booze.

What i'm most pleased about, though, is that I got up today, fed the Man-Kitty, and immediately returned to my bed, where I slept until 1 PM. Yep, that's right: I got approximately 13 hours of sleep last night. It was AWESOME. And then I woke up, I went to Starbucks (hey! I knew I knew that guy who was in line in front of me from someplace! It was the Man-Kitty's Man-Vet! I kept trying to place him and I couldn't.... and now I realize it's the man who neutered my little companion! How did I not know who he was? I am so oblivious sometimes.... I bet he thought I was rude....) and got a ventinonfatchaitealatte, and then I headed off to the Big Public Library, where I got a bunch of books, including Beth Luey's Handbook for Academic Authors, Naomi Black's Virginia Woolf as Feminist, John Fowles's journals, and some garbage chick lit. Oh, and I also got Gilles Deleuze and Felix Guattari's A Thousand Plateaus because I was an idiot and never bought it in grad school (though I do have about 20 pgs of handwritten notes that are very compulsive and organized) and so now I need to consult it again and so needed to get it from the library again, and yes I know that I should just buy the fucking book but now I've got so much invested in my ridiculous notes about the book that I feel like it would be too much trouble to buy the book and to transfer those notes into it so why bother?

After that awesome trip, I went into my office and finished the grading that I should have finished yesterday and had some lunch, and now I need to go to the gym and then I think I'm going to give myself over to reading my library books. Brokeback Mountain has finally come to my local cineplex (yes, it takes a long time for the movies about gay cowboys to find their way to this part of the world) and so I'm finally going to see it tomorrow with my Colleague-Best-Friend and then I suspect we'll go to dinner, which makes the gym even more imperative, since yesterday on what I like to call "Cheating Friday" I really did overindulge, and so I've got to make sure that I burn off those calories so that I can eat out again tomorrow. My plan, however, is to persuade CBF to go to the turkish place that's by the movies at which I can eat something that's not entirely horrible for my eating healthy aims.

At any rate, I thought I should check in, if only to let you all know that I survived yesterday and went on to a very productive today.

5 comments:

Scrivener said...

Hooray for surviving yesterday! I loved Brokeback Mountain--meant to write a post about it, but never did. I figure it's a clear sign of progress when, in Georgia, a theater is completely filled with people watching a movie about gay cowboys. There were even quite a few African American heterosexual couples together watching the movie! Hooray!

Terminal Degree said...

Don't worry about the vet. Mine never remembers who I am, even though the kitty is there at least twice each year.

But then, I think the vet is more interested in the cat than in its person. :)

Seeking Solace said...

Sounds like you had a great day! Cheers to you!

Our vet always remembered me and the Boy's predecessor, Duke. Duke was a rare breed of dog who bit the vet during an examination!

litprof said...

I confess to having the same D&G problem as you. I don't own the book, but my notes go on and on.

Sounds you had a great day.

Kate Evans said...

Curious what you'll think of BB Mountain. I liked it--wrote it about in my blog (and also have a poster of Brokeback Muppets posted...)