Wednesday, January 18, 2006

And So the Grading (and the Procrastination) Begins

Ironically, I am grading (or, rather, commenting on) assignments that are "ungraded." Because I'm a martyr.

I have streamlined this process over the years, and it goes relatively quickly after I do the first few assignments. Problematically, however, I'm grading the first of these assignments, and this always takes a bit of time. The first one works kind of like a diagnostic, and so I tend to give global feedback about things I'd like to see them work on throughout the semester. It takes about 5 minutes per paper. It's an assignment I tend to enjoy reading, at least a little. The problem? I'm not ready to be grading again yet. And so, I am procrastinating as much as I'm grading.

My procrastination activities:
1. New workout playlist. It's one hour long. Want to know what's on it? I know you do.
  • 2 kool 2 Be 4-gotten - Lucinda Williams
  • A Song for You - Gram Parsons
  • Afraid Not Scared - Ryan Adams
  • Superman - REM
  • Nineteen - Old 97s
  • Debaser - Pixies
  • Man-Size - PJ Harvey
  • When You Were Mine - Prince
  • Fire on Babylon - Sinead O'Connor
  • Girlfriend in a Coma - The Smiths
  • Hit - Sugarcubes
  • Tupelo Honey - Van Morrison
  • Sleeping Where I Want - Veruca Salt
  • Bring It on Home - Sam Cooke
  • You Can't Always Get What You Want - Rolling Stones

We'll see how it goes when I work out this afternoon.

2. Reading blogs. Why aren't more of you posting things?

3. Writing this blog post.

Papers graded: 7

Papers I'm forcing myself to grade before I go to the gym: 15

That will put me at halfway through.

Sigh.

Better get back to it, though, if I hope to work out today. How crazy that working out has become a reward for me!

Oh, and per Scrivener's request, sooner or later I'll post about why I can't write the self-affirming posts, but I think it might take actual introspection, which means it can't be fodder for a procrastination post. Also, I'm thinking about doing the 100 things about me in 100 days thing that all the cool kids are doing, but I'm not sure I've got 100 things that would be new to everybody. Nor am I sure I can commit to a 100 days of anything. Hmmm.

2 comments:

negativecapability said...

I hate it when people don't post enough for me to procrastinate adequately...

Anonymous said...

i'm coming up man sized skinned alive i want to fit got to get......