Thursday, July 01, 2010

You know what? I'm just not going to title posts anymore if I don't have a title that comes readily to mind. Because the whole thing about writing here is really about routine right now and not about me actually having anything of note to say. After taking it easy yesterday, the wrist feels basically fine (still a little stiff, but not painful), and so I've learned my lesson and I will not do anymore marathon days where I write for 8 straight hours. 1) Not good for the hand and 2) not, ultimately, good for the brain. See, this is the thing: although when I get into that sort of a zone I want to work until I drop, that ultimately burns me out. I have 6 months of this to go, and if I allow myself to get burnt out, I won't - although it seems counter-intuitive - accomplish as much as if I work more methodically. Slow and steady wins the race. But wow, how boring that is! Ah well. I am boring.

So, I've been rereading a novel that I needed to reread, a novel that I find supremely irritating even if it is important to my project, and today I have to run around and take care of some shopping things (finalize the stuff for my new basement door; shop for a dress for my cousin's wedding) and pay bills. For now, though, more coffee, and easing into the day.

5 comments:

Notorious Ph.D. said...

I've been boring lately myself, but man, blogging should be for us, since we're not getting paid for it. I think pacing is a good idea, especially if you're injured.

Aaannnnd.... I need to work myself.

BTW, my word verification is "stootypo". I just like it. You can use that as a title if you want.

Anonymous said...

THIS IS NOT ALLOWED! POSTS MUST HAVE TITLES! CONSIDER YOURSELF WARNED!

Shane in SLC said...

I have a weird feeling (based on this post and the one from 6/29) that you've been reading D.H. Lawrence. Am I right?

Dr. Crazy said...

Shane - You know, I'm NOT actually reading Lawrence. A weird thing about me is that Lawrence doesn't really irritate me. Most of the time I think his writing is just plain beautiful. I go to the "Lawrence Place" and I lose myself in Lawrence. (This is not to say that some of his novels aren't atrocious *cough* The Plumed Serpent *cough*, but he doesn't make me *angry* as a rule. This book I'm reading - one that I bet many people would expect me to love without reservation - just pisses me off (about nit-picky things, but those nit-picky things really ruin the story for me in some important ways).

nn said...

When I don't want to name a post, I use a generic title: "Journal".