Sunday, July 04, 2010

Thing #473 That's Awesome About My House

Fireworks, yall. I see my town's fireworks as if they were made for me from my front lawn. No need to deal with crowds. I have a front row seat for freaking rock and roll fireworks. And, apparently, my neighbors across the street and 2 doors down spend thousands of dollars on illegal private-style fireworks, too, so tonight I was treated to approx. 2 hours of stellar fireworks, all without having to leave the comfort of my own porch/yard.

I love the 4th of July. I love not having to deal with humanity on the 4th of July. Next year I'm totally having a party on the 4th of July.

5 comments:

Dr. Crazy said...

And I and all my neighbors on my street applauded at the end of the town fireworks. Applauded, though we were just people on our lawns. AWESOME.

Belle said...

So wait. You sat on your awesome front porch, with a cold beverage, and watched the fireworks? With your own bathroom and bev center right there?

Wow. Just... wow.

Dr. Crazy said...

Well, I do believe that there are couple of potential reasons for them doing the 4th stuff on the third, but I'm just guessing:

1) They picked the third so as not to interfere with the Lord's day.
2) Every community around here makes a huge deal out of the Independence Day holiday, and I wonder whether there's some sort of negotiations that happen so that not everybody does their stuff on the same day? (Sort of like how in some weird places they do trick or treating not on halloween?)

Dame Eleanor Hull said...

Fireworks are expensive. You get a lot more bang for your buck if you go for the 3rd or the 5th. Also, if you're a small town near a big city, you're competing for fireworks technicians with the big city, who can pay more. It all comes down to money. What could be more American than that?

Doctor Pion said...

I'm glad to live in a state where it is legal to sell fireworks, including ones that are illegal to use in this state! (Yes, I promise to set them off in another state ... where they are also illegal.) There is something quintessentially American about that sort of system, and it really isn't the 4th until you hear illegal fireworks go off.

Where I live, the Big City does its big show on the 4th no matter what (and we can watch it from a friend's house that also features its own private display), but one small town did theirs on the 3rd so it (and the parade) didn't have to compete.

Then there is the bar that did theirs on Saturday because Sunday isn't quite so good for liquor sales.