Wednesday, July 07, 2010

RBOC: Blech

  • Are you all aware of how much of the summer has passed? Because I am now painfully aware of this, and also aware of the fact that between now and August I will be out of town for 4 days, having guests two other weekends, and entertaining in between. When am I supposed to be doing all of my work? GAAAHHH.
  • I watched two movies yesterday, both of which I recommend. 1) An Education, which is just the most awesome, gorgeous movie, and 2) The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, which is, I think, a quite good adaptation of the book (though I was disappointed to see that they eliminated one of the funniest parts of the book/series, which is that when middle-aged Mikael Blomkvist enters a room every woman can't help herself and propositions him and then they have sex as if it's about as big of a deal as having a cup of coffee together).
  • You might wonder why I was watching movies instead of working? Um, well, I'm kind of in denial.
  • I've actually been getting lots of good thinking done, and I have been reading, and I intend to spend today reading more - and hopefully I'll have some things to write down as well. I'm just not being as focused as I always imagine I'd like to be (but very rarely am).
  • I'm really looking forward to going to Hometown for my cousin's wedding, even though it turns out that the person whom I was supposed to take with me is not coming after all. (Long story. Well, not really. The short version is that some people do not honor their commitments and they are so selfish that they don't see that this would perhaps be hurtful to other people. And then after they do realize they've been hurtful to other people, they self-absorbedly feel sorry for themselves for doing everything wrong. What. Ever.) But anyway, aside from that parenthetical aside, I'm perhaps even more happy that my plans have changed because my friend J. is going to go to the wedding with me instead, and that will be more fun for me anyway.
  • I really need to do some things around the house, but then I also really need to read. And then I would really like to lounge around like a lady of leisure. Perhaps I can do some reading that I don't need to pay close attention to, and then I can have stupid television on in the background? Indeed. I think that sounds like a perfect happy medium.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your most entertaining blog posts are when you're procrastinating.

Doctor Pion said...

I am well aware of how much of the summer has gone by. In fact, my next blog post is going to be "OMG It's July!" on that very subject. When I get around to it.

life_of_a_fool said...

I prefer to think that 2/3 of the summer is still ahead of me. Lots of time!

Oooooh, I know too many people like the person who flaked on you. I'm glad you have an even better plan now, but still: not cool.

Dr. Crazy said...

Seriously, Physioprof? You must be joking. Or, if you're not, well, then thanks :) At least I'm entertaining, even if I'm not accomplishing things....

Anonymous said...

Never apologize or feel guilty for watching movies during the summer, Dr. C. Think of it as exercising both sides of your brain....

I plan to watch the Dragon Tattoo dvd (thanks Netflix!) tonight---though now I'm going to be thinking about that missing hilarious sex scene. I haven't read the books yet: have you read Nora Ephron satire of the books in The New Yorker? (http://www.newyorker.com/humor/2010/07/05/100705sh_shouts_ephron)

Anonymous said...

My breaks from teaching come off and on all year round, a week here and a couple of weeks there. It's been years since I had a summer off. When those breaks roll around, it's very difficult to get anything constructive done. I feel like I deserve the break and so I'll take a couple of days to do nothing and relax. Then those days are over and I think "one more day won't hurt." Then all of a sudden lots of days have gone by and I've accomplished nothing except reading (pleasure not work-related) and other fun things. It's so hard to get back into the "work" mindset.

Enjoy the trips and entertaining. Sounds fun!