Monday, July 12, 2010

Note to Self: I'm Too Old for This Shit

So, I'm back from what was a very fun (if not terribly restful) trip to my Hometown. My cousin's wedding was... well, it was many things.
  1. The wedding itself was fantastic. My cousin and her new hubby were married in a gorgeous church (the same one my parents were married in, incidentally), and lots of people attended the ceremony. Very nice indeed.
  2. I ended up taking my friend J. with me to the reception, since the person who had been supposed to go with me (ahem) bailed on the plans. I figured since I'd already rsvp'd for two I'd bring J. along. So I went to the ceremony by myself, and then I went home and glammed up for the reception, picked up J. and we were off.
  3. We went to the hotel, checked in, and then got the shuttle to the reception place. We took the shuttle with a crew of 20something friends of the groom, all of whom had begun drinking right after the ceremony ended approximately 2 1/2 hours before. J. and I, stupidly, felt very smug about the fact that "pre-drinking" is no longer an activity in which we engage. We are sensible ladies who know better. Indeed.
  4. We got to the reception and we were seated with my aunts and uncle, and we both, sensibly, were drinking wine and beer, respectively. We were not going to be an annihilated mess. Oh no we were not.
  5. Dinner, nice conversation, toasts, etc. And then...
  6. J. and I are not sensible ladies. Gin. 20somethings. Many of whom thought we were charming, and many of whom were really angry that their dates thought we were charming. All of the 20somethings who don't hate us insist on calling me Dr. Crazy, in spite of my protests. Things begin to get fuzzy.
  7. Dancing with my aunts and my cousins. More gin.
  8. Shots. I'm not sure how many, though I do know that I became a ring-leader of sorts as the night went on.... because I'm clearly not a sensible lady.
  9. Shuttle back to the hotel, this time with family. My aunts inform me that the party is not yet over and we are to change and then meet back at the hotel bar for continued merry-making.
  10. Hotel bar. I lose J. (More on this later.) A lengthy conversation with a 20something about Bob Seger and the relative merits of "Night Moves" vs. "Against the Wind." Jack and Coke(s)?
  11. I believe I was at the bar until last call, but at this point, it's very difficult to know. I decide I should try to find J. But I have no idea where she is, so I teeter on up to a hotel room where we were told by 20somethings that the party would continue. Bud Light.
  12. General craziness ensues.
  13. I somehow find my way back to J.'s and my room, somehow manage to enter said room, and pass out. No idea where J. is.
  14. We awaken at 7 AM, very confused about a great many things. Apparently I did let J. into the room, though, around 4:30? We aren't entirely sure. We decide we must immediately flee the premises and think very carefully about our seeming inability to make sensible choices and to act like grown ass women.
  15. Where had J. been during the Lost Hours? Um, apparently making out with a 20something in the backseat of a car. She has no idea how she ended up getting back to the room, though she does remember me letting her in.
I really do not know what to say about the above. Other than it was one hell of a night, and that I really should know better :)

12 comments:

Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

Don't feel too bad about it -- last time I got more than a little bit tipsy with my relatives, I ended up puking in my purse on a Florida interstate..

Dr. Crazy said...

IPF - I will say, the ONE thing that did make me feel a lot better about everything was that at least I did not get sick :) Well, and, as J. said, as messed up as we both were, we were NOT the drunkest people there, which is always a good thing :)

Roxie Smith Lindemann said...

Totally impressed that you did not barf your head off, Dr. C. Moose would have tossed her wedding cake at #6 on your list, while Goose might have made it to #8, depending upon how much twirling was involved at point 7. Surely there was a massive headache upon waking at 7 AM, but, really, 7 AM???? You are made of strong stuff.

Arbitrista said...

The fact that you can live such an interesting story and then write about it demonstrates that you are not, in fact, too old for this shit.

Susan said...

I'm very impressed about the 7 AM. I would have had the worlds greatest headache....

~profgrrrrl~ said...

I dunno, it all sounds quite awesome in a weird way. I miss those days when such things were maybe a possibility.

Comet Jo said...

OK, well, yeah, you are probably too old to do that shit on a regular basis, but it sounds like you (both) had fun and I think the text betrays itself (at least to the extent that it is really committed to self admonishment at all: your real comment is the ":)" with which you finish. :)

Tenured Radical said...

Crazy, I started to get queasy just reading this. But it sounds like you had a very good time indeed.

Earnest English said...

It's very interesting that twenty-somethings really do have the idea that a wedding should have serious after-parties. Maybe I wasn't a member of the in-crowd or maybe it was just the weddings I went to before, but only when I went to my sister's just recently have I experienced the wedding having an after-party, though nothing like this.

Sounds like you had an excellent time -- even better because it's not something you do, or even want to do (okay, just a little), every day.

English Adjunct said...

I am really impressed (and jealous) that you did not get sick. Sounds like a great night and party - something we all need every now and then!

Doctor Pion said...

What a great story! I particularly like that they called you "Dr." because that probably is what drove you do lose a bit of your sensibility at the party.

Doctor Pion said...

BTW, how did you miss that "Jason Birk" post with a spam link on each and every period in the message? I've been seeing that a lot.