Wednesday, March 03, 2010

What Even to Say

Before I actually post about what I intend to post about, I accidentally deleted a comment about the motherfucking jameson because I was rejecting a spam comment and hit the wrong button. So, commenter whom I've never seen before, do come back! I didn't mean to reject your comment.

But what I'm really saying even though I don't know what there is to say is that apparently I'm really going to buy a house. Like, really. Like, I called up colleague-friend's realtor this afternoon, and all of a sudden I'm going to be going out to look at houses that I could actually buy, in person to look at them and all, on Friday. I've received listings in my in-box. This is really happening. And it's happening FAST.

Now, on the one hand, I already talked to the bank and everything and I'm pre-approved for a loan and all that, so this is fine. On the other hand, isn't this an awfully big step for me to take? I mean, it's an awfully big step. And sure, that's exciting and all, but it's also, well, a teeny bit horrifying. But apparently I'm really doing this.

In funny news, I trust my judgment not at all so I consulted with my mom, BFF, and with HS Best Friend about the listings I received. It was interesting, in that HS Best Friend and BFF both picked the front runners that I picked, while my mother chose as her front runners things that I wouldn't consider in a million years. I think this is probably a good sign, actually. My mom and I have very different priorities for houses, and at the end of the day, my mom really has no clue about what I like about anything. It's a weird thing: my mom and I are very close, but she seriously just doesn't understand what I like at all unless I explain it to her in detail. In contrast, my friends do understand what I like and what I am looking for, and they know me, ultimately, in ways that my mother just doesn't.

In other news, I spent much of the day doing research for the NB, and then I went and showed a film in my class. All in all, a pretty good day. Even if I'm really horrified that I apparently really am going to buy a house.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I bought a house I was ttally freaked too. The realtor called me at work to tell me my offer had been accepted, and I immediately went to the bathroom to throw up.

In retrospect it's not that big of a deal, but that's the thing about retrospect--it's a crock.

(And I am a new commenter, but not the one whose comment you deleted, FWIW.)

Dr. Koshary said...

Exciting! And here I thought your post title was a harbinger of bad news. Sigh of relief!

P.S. My verification word is "chings." There's a borderlands English verb waiting to happen, right there!

heu mihi said...

Well, MY verification word is "ingster," which means that I have to post a comment.

So, like, YAY! I want to buy a house now, too! Only the thought is indeed terrifying, but also awesome, so I'm right there with you, C.

James said...

Look for houses on your own too, both online (Yahoo Real Estate and the like) where you'll find houses that for whatever reason your realtor's system doesn't list, and in person, where you'll find houses that people decided not to list online. I found approximately 50% more properties in the neighborhoods I was interested in than my real estate agent found for me directly.

Susan said...

Yay for househunting! I actually love looking at houses, if I don't feel I have to buy. Your advantage is that you can spend time looking to find the house that is right for you in the neighborhood(s) where you want to live -- you aren't just about to move so you have to find a house NOW.

Try to enjoy yourself, and know that you're not in a rush. So you don't have to choose a house this weekend. In fact, if this is the first time you're looking, you probably should assume you won't.

helenesch said...

How exciting! I'm in the midst of this myself right now. The weird thing for me is that although I've been vaguely thinking for years that I *should* buy a house (I got tenure in '06 and have lived in the same apt. since '10), for a long time I really didn't feel the desire to be a homeowner. Then suddenly a month or two ago that shifted.... I found a realtor I really like, and once I started actually looking at houses, I realized how badly I want one!

I keep thinking that I'm suddenly going to be struck with the panic of "oh, no what am I doing?!" but it hasn't happened yet.

Good luck--I look forward to hearing more about how it goes!

one reflective educator said...

Oh wow! Good luck!