- What is the benefit of teaching two classes in a semester with two course releases, when throughout the semester the two course releases really took just as much time as teaching/grading for two courses would have taken? Finals grading. Dude, for the first time in recorded history (i.e., ever) I have completed the grading for the semester on the day of my last final. That also probably has to do with not teaching comp. In fact, I know it does because typically I procrastinate about the comp grading until the night before final grades are due, for it makes me upset and unhappy. But this semester? The grades are DONE. Hurrah!
- Also hurrah because, as is typical, the final allows my students to redeem themselves and to show me that they indeed did learn a heck of a lot more than I realized that they learned.
- And it makes me realize that usually my read on what they enjoy and what they don't is usually totally wrong. What's up with the conservative students totally loving the queer British writers? And with my theory students loving, understanding, and feeling super-influenced by the excerpt from Patricia Waugh that I had them read? Who knew that this was what was going on behind those expressions of consternation?
- And I spoke with the friend that I mentioned in the last bullets.... after some thought today I realized that I was picking a fight with him on purpose (if unconsciously). Not that I was wrong for what I was picking the fight about, but, well, when I get stressed, my impulse is to do some collateral damage in another area of my life. What's lovely about the person on whom I unleashed my fury is that although I hurt his feelings he totally forgives me (a) and also apparently recognizes that this is a pattern of mine while at the same time knowing that the substance of the fight-picking was not off base (b). I feel as if this person is a rare gem indeed for that combination of responses.
- Talked with BES today about grad school plans. Poof!
- Hmmm. What else? Have just been talking to BFF on the phone. No big news to report there, although things move along with the selling of her house.
Ok, maybe more later. But yeah, that's all for now.