Saturday, February 14, 2009

Some Brief Thoughts on Valentine's Day

Because I have to take my antibiotic in 30 minutes, so I can't just go to bed right now. So, here I sit, with a pectin throat lozenge, a cup of echinacea tea (it can't hurt, I figure, although the fact that I am in need of the antibiotics does make me suspect it won't really help very much), and my thoughts about Valentine's Day.

1. TBS's programming on this day - as well as other programming on cable across the land - totally bummed me out. I'm not sure why "unfunny movie with two people bickering" = "what people watching tv on Valentine's day would like to watch."

2. FB is one of those "Valentine's Day is for losers" people, which I'm actually ok with for the most part, except of course, who wouldn't want to be showered with gifts or something? But still, probably I'd rather have an anti-Valentine person around who has the capability of persuading me - by means of a potent cocktail of guilt, logic, stern talking, and niceness - to go to the doctor and to get myself drugs (and the capability of doing so from thousands of miles away is nothing to be sneezed at - ha! see what I did there? Except actually that's one thing I'm not doing, which is one reason they gave me the hard drugs because it means what I've got isn't just your typical cold). So FB is my valentine. He grudgingly agreed that I could be his valentine, too, but apparently that doesn't mean that lavish gifts appear on my doorstep, which, while not surprising, is somewhat disappointing. Ah well, he didn't get anything either :) (We are both so far from on top of the whole thoughtful gift-giving thing, which I suppose is good, as it means that this is not typically a source of conflict, except of course when it is because I decide that he should be thoughtful even when I'm not.) But FB is nice and he is a good Valentine who yells at me to take care of myself in such a way that I actually listen to him, and I very much appreciate him for that, as I can be awfully stubborn when it comes to such matters.

3. The only actual written valentine I received this year was from my insurance agent. I also get birthday greetings from her. I think this means I'm old, and maybe slightly pathetic. Or just that I have a really nice insurance person.

4. I wish my cats would agree to let me dress them up like Cupid. They do not appear to be very interested in this idea, or in any others that involve dressing up.

Yeah, I think that's all I've got. So happy Valentine's Day to all, and to all a good night.

No comments: