Tuesday, February 17, 2009

In Which I Wonder at My Procrastination

Because what was I putting off? What was I worried about? I've already got 3 solid pages written, two further pages in progress, and I've yet to talk about the scene that is the centerpiece of my paper or to incorporate any criticism. I might be the world's biggest idiot. Especially because I'm really enjoying writing this and it's just flowing from me as if fully formed, totally painlessly. I guess that's what happens when you take a year off from conferencing, and when you are actually energized about research. Who knew? I haven't felt this since I was a young lass in my first year on the tenure track!

ETA: There is a beginning, a middle, and an end, and I don't think it sucks mightily, although it's probably not my best work. I don't think I care. And it may be under 20 minutes, but doesn't everybody love a person who gives a paper that clocks in under 20 minutes? I believe that they do. So. Tomorrow, I grade, and I meet with students, and then I am FREE! FREE! I feel like some conference energy may be exactly what I need right now. Exactly.

1 comment:

rachel said...

i consistently speak for about 18 minutes and no one ever notices! i tend to unpack some dense theory in there, to offer at least three historical moments to chew over, and then a full conclusion. i find if you give them something to think about, then no one feels like it's been a bit shorter (and it leaves more time for questions!)