Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Should Have Quit While I Was Ahead

Ok, so my eHarmony membership was to have run out on the 10th, but because I didn't change a setting or something they automatically renewed me (charging me for it, which is annoying). And so, thinking since I paid for it anyway, I decided to respond to a bunch of people, not really paying attention - and I responded to a guy I know. Like know in real life. He had worked at my university, and I met him like twice, so I don't know him know him, but still. Of course, because I am a space cadet, I didn't realize I knew him until he emailed my work email. Yeah, that's right - he completely eschewed the whole "stages of communication thing" and emailed my "real" email. I feel like that is both creepy and annoying. Ugh. I totally should pay more attention to a. the people around me and b. the pictures on this thing. It's just that at a certain point all of the dudes run together picture-wise, and so I've stopped scrutinizing them until things move along a bit more. Sigh. I hate online dating. It's so lame.

11 comments:

Eddie said...

Oh that is embarrassing. I had a brief stint on Match and was contacted by a coworker through work email. I told him I didn't like to mix my personal life and work, haha.

Kate said...

Eeee! That would freak the crap out of me. What are you going to do?

Dr. Crazy said...

So far, I have done nothing. My thought is that I shall put off dealing with it until tomorrow, though I'm not sure how a) mature that is b) whether that really constitutes a "plan."

Liz said...

Is he date-worthy? Is dating somebody you know from work completely out of the question?

~profgrrrrl~ said...

Oh, gah. You have just described one of my nightmares.

History Geek said...

Gah, that sounds like something I would do, only it be on of my ex-fiances

krisluvswool said...

Interesting, but there is a bright side to this story, possibly? On the plus side, you've sort of met him and so may not have to deal with the negatives of the last two encounters... and it's not like he can hold it against you that you're using eharmony.... I mean, he's using it too, right? lol. Good luck!

Psycho Kitty said...

Woops.
Friggin' eHarm kept sending me profiles of guys who really prioritized physical fitness and riding their Harleys. Kinda sorta exactly like my Ex.

Chaser said...

Ack.

I realize Ms. ThickSkin USA, but I don't think this is that bad. Yes, it's embarrassing, but think eharmony has become so mainstream that people think nothing of it, so even if he goes around saying something, it's no big deal. At least I wouldn't think anything of it if the gossip got around to me...not unless he said something like "Dr. C admitted she's into spanking and Fig Newtons" or something equally personal.

Can you use eddie's approach, as it is kind of the truth--just "oh, my mistake--I didn't realize we knew each other through work until you emailed. Forgive me, but I'd rather keep work and dating separate, darn the luck."

Dr. Crazy said...

Hey all :)

No, I don't think this is terribly bad either (in that I'm not embarassed or anything about it), except for that I felt put on the spot by his emailing me the way he did. I still haven't responded, though I will sooner or later. I suppose more than anything I'm annoyed that I was matched with this guy at all - I mean, I've met him, and he's just totally not for me. And so now I've got to dump a guy that I've never even gone out with. It's totally ridiculous.

Another Damned Medievalist said...

Hey, X e-mailed MY ROOMMATE when she glanced at his match profile. She e-mailed back and said X-- You KNOW ME. He said he wasn't sure it was her, and besides .. Oh -- was there one of those "secret girl rules" he had broken? It was actually pretty funny, and we all got a good laugh out of it in the end.