Monday, June 26, 2006

Visiting Medusa, Day 4

Well, you will all be happy to hear that Medusa and I did spend our day somewhat sensibly yesterday, though perhaps our food choices were not entirely wise, and perhaps we should have done something other than forage for food, nap, and watch television. I'm here today and tomorrow, and then Wednesday I return to my kitty-cat (whom I miss DREADFULLY, even though that's quite silly) and my parents' house, and then, FINALLY, I return home to where I actually live. While this month of travels has been good, I'm also (I suppose reasonably) ready for it to be over.

That said, this visit to Medusa has been really great. I hadn't seen her for about a year, and the last time was kind of lame because it was at a conference and not a real visit. It's also been kind of weird being back in Grad School City for the first time in a couple of years.... In going to our old haunts, etc., it's strange to see how a new generation has replaced my generation of people, and it's strange to see how this place has become so firmly a part of my past and isn't at all my present anymore. I suppose that's what happens when you grow up and move away from a place, but I don't know.... there's something about my hometown that stays stuck in one gear and so that place always feels like "home" or like I could just drop right back in and pick up where I left off. Grad School City is different - because it's bigger? because it's not my home and never was? I don't know.

So. Two days, and then it's back to fetch my kitty and my car and my things, and then it's back to my "real life" once again. And it's back to a lot of work that is waiting for me (scowling, if work can scowl) and to the (somewhat daunting) task of asking people for letters for going on the market and the (entirely unpleasant) task of drafting my own job letter and who knows what else. It's going to be a busy rest of the summer....

No comments: