Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Update (Barely)

Since I last posted, I wrote approximately one paragraph. Tragically, that was a paragraph *about* the paper in an email to someone, and not an actual paragraph that will be *in* the paper. But it did help me to structure my ideas.

In other news, I received a rejection in the mail, from the one place where I still had hope. 'Tis true, folks. Unless there's some bizarre 11th hour occurrence, Dr. Crazy is off the market. Luckily, this wasn't very disappointing as I'd already assumed that this would be the outcome. Nevertheless, it just goes to show you that you can have teaching experience out the wazoo, a solid and consistent publication record, a book contract, a demonstrated history of collegiality and service to your institution and community, and guess what? You may not even get an interview. On the other hand, you may be missing one or more of these things and you will get a slew of interviews, for any number of reasons. The point here is that there is absolutely no rhyme or reason to it. But so, if you'd like to feel sorry for me at MLA, I will of course accept any offers of drinks, for it's not like it matters if I'm hung over in the daylight hours this year! Hurrah!

In OTHER news, I've been fretting privately about the title of this blog, for it was looking like I'd be back to my four-course load in the spring. BUT WAIT! Indeed! It may well not be so! Of course, I may need to agree to something that will suck my soul from my body if I want to have but three courses, but I will not know the details until I meet with Program Director tomorrow. The question is, would I be able to say no even if the thing will suck my soul from my body? This I do not know.

The point here though, is that I am VERY excited about this potential course reduction.

No comments: