Monday, December 31, 2007

The New Year's Meme

Ok, so I realized before embarking on this one that I did one that's almost identical last year. In the interest of continuity, I'm going to use the almost identical questions from last year.

1. What did you do in 2007 that you’d never done before?

  • Got my book contract and finished the book manuscript.
  • Traveled in Scotland and Wales
That's all I can think of. But those are two pretty big things, so I feel that this is ok.

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

I sucked at my New Year's resolutions last year, although I did accomplish a great many non-resolution things, so yes, I'll be making resolutions this year and the idea is that I'll actually do them this time around.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?

Not really.

4. Did anyone close to you die?

My step-uncle.

5. What countries did you visit?

The United Kingdom

6. What would you like to have in 2008 that you lacked in 2007?

Hmmm. Last year I said I needed to be in love again. The funny thing is, I'm still not entirely sure whether that happened. (Because I'm an asshole.) But so what do I want for the upcoming year? I think that perhaps the "in love" thing was a bit too ambitious. I think what I want in the upcoming year is more affection. I've got lots of love in my life, but not as much affection as I'd enjoy. Yes.

7. What dates from 2007 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?

I suck with dates. I never remember even my closest friends' birthdays. Thus, no dates are really etched on my memory.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

Obviously, The Book. God, my answers are boring this year.

9. What was your biggest failure?

Well, the job search(es). But I think I've come to terms with that, actually. More irritating to me in the present is all of the weight that I put on through those failed searches and through the completion of the book.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?

No. Indeed, I don't even remember really having very many colds. I think all in all 2007 was a very healthy year.

11. What was the best thing you bought?

I don't feel like I've bought anything that great this year at all. My plane ticket to the UK?

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?

I probably shouldn't be doing this meme because no answers are coming to mind for any of the questions. I'm sure somebody did something worthy of celebration, but who they are is not occurring to me. So I'm going to say... in a lame reprisal of last year... The Man-Kitty (with the exception of that time when he sliced open a houseguest's arm :) )

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?

You know, the first person who came to mind with this one was Britney Spears, but I don't mean it in a judgmental "she's a bad mother" way but rather in a "oh god, why does she keep spinning out of control! Poor Brit-Brit!" way.

14. Where did most of your money go?

Travel for conferences and job-search related stuff. This is one reason why I will not be traveling for anything work-related in the '08.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?

Fake relationships, The Book, the trip to the UK.

16. What song will always remind you of 2007?

"Big Girls Don't Cry" by Fergie and "Stronger" by Kanye West.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer?

a) I think the same b) fatter c) I think the same.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?


Been more financially responsible so as actually to get rid of some debt and save some money; had more fun.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?

Freaked out about things; created unnecessary drama.

20. How will you be spending Christmas?

I spent Christmas in my hometown with my parents. It was a pretty quiet Christmas family-wise, though. I also saw the inimitable A., my friend J., and my high school BFF.

21. Did you fall in love in 2007?

I'm not entirely certain. I think maybe? But if I did, I think I also fucked it up. Maybe.

22. How many one-night stands?

Not a one.

23. What was your favorite TV program?

Well, I do love that Moonlight.

24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?

Hate is a very strong word. But let's just say that certain people in my world have a tendency to inefficiency that became incredibly apparent this year.

25. What was the best book you read?

No idea. And I refuse to rack my brains to come up with a definitive answer.

26. What was your greatest musical discovery?


Tegan and Sara. Bloc Party. Silversun Pickups.

27. What did you want and get?

I feel like I got nothing I wanted. This year felt much more like a year of dealing with all the shit that was in progress as of last year at this time. Thus, what I hope is that a) I want some things that are brand new in 2008 and that next year I can have gotten them and then talk about that.

28. What did you want and not get?

Again, I don't feel like I wanted much. I felt sort of... bogged down... in the results of past wanting.

29. What was your favorite film of this year?

I really liked Knocked Up. I suspect that the Savages would have been a favorite had I seen it =)

30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?

I turned 33 and I don't think I did anything. God, 2007 was a lame year for Crazy. OH! I know what I did! I got angry at FB because he didn't adequately wish me happy birthday and then I went and got drunk. Happy freaking Birthday. Must do something better for my birthday next year.

31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?

Having relationships that don't include the word "fake."

32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2007?

"It is not easy to be stylish when you gain a bunch of weight."

33. What kept you sane?

I don't think I've been terribly sane this year.

34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?

Ok, I'm not sure, but I do feel a lecherous pull toward the aging cast of the Potter movies....

35. What political issue stirred you the most?

Nothing really, because I'm a bad citizen.

36. Who did you miss?

Nobody, much.

37. Who was the best new person you met?

Too many people to name just one, but it was fabulous meeting Maude Lebowski and Sisyphus and all the other bloggers at the meet-up whom I'd not met before! Also my friend G.'s parents, and FB's parents, and G's grad school crew.... and A.'s new love.... Indeed, I seem to have met a lot of cool people in 2008!

38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2007.

There isn't a thing in the world wrong with staying in the same place - physically, mentally, emotionally, whatever - and taking whatever time one needs to take in order to regroup. This is not to say I've done this - at all - but as the year ends, I realize it's what I need to do. I've been flailing around trying to do something - anything - for the past couple of years to get unstuck. It occurs to me that part of why I'm stuck is because I'm flailing around. I'm not talking about wanting balance or anything like that. I'm talking about wanting to take time just to *be* for a little bit without racing around and trying to become something else. So that's the goal for 2008.

39. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.


I'm all alone now and I feel just fine
I don't feel much like doing anything
True love ain't that hard to find
Not that either one of us will ever know

- from Ryan Adams' song "Please Do Not Let Me Go"

4 comments:

Margo, darling said...

Hi Crazy,
Happy New Year. I wanted to thank you for all your work pulling together the blogger meet-up (all that email stuff can get tiresome--I wouldn't have done it!), and to tell you how much I specifically enjoyed meeting you. You were just what I expected, only warmer--and I thought you were going to be warm in the first place. You have a good attitude going into the new year and I hope you are pleasantly surprised by 2008. xoxo

helenesch said...

Happy New Year! I wish I had been at the MLA instead of the APA (philosophy)--it would have been fun to meet you. Hope 2008 gets off to a fantastic start...

Anonymous said...

I'm with helenesch. except I have to go to the AAR. which is cool but there are no cool bloggers there. that I know of. except for me. :)

anywho, I am so with you on britney spears. poor brit, let's hope she has a better 2008.

Maude said...

i'm so honored to be in #37 and with such wonderful company.

i also echo margo, darling's sentiments and gratitude above as well. (and margo, i'm sad that we didn't have more of a chance to talk.) thanks for everything!