Tuesday, September 16, 2008

On Teaching Dirty Books

Today I had the fun in my upper-level course in my field of saying that the reason Notoriously Difficult Book ultimately was legally ruled not to be obscene was because, to paraphrase (I'm sure reductively), "it's just too much of a pain in the ass to read for people to want to masturbate to it." One of my students responded, "Well, that sounds like a challenge, doesn't it?"

Laughter all around.

I love academic freedom, and I love my students. Love, love, love.

4 comments:

Belle said...

I envy you. Laughter; I miss that. I have one class that's working right now. Out of five.

The sound you hear is me whimpering from behind the door.

Dr. Crazy said...

Oh, Belle! FIVE???? TOO MANY!!!! I say that with four. Five sounds like death!!!!! And only one working????

It may be time for you to do the quiet-voice-of-seriousness Talk with them about how you're not happy, and how you know it's because They're Not Happy, and None of You Deserves to Live Like This. (I was coached in this talk by my diss advisor. While it doesn't always work, I have had strong success with it.)

And if that doesn't work, I prescribe wine. Lots, and lots, of wine :)

Sisyphus said...

:) Hee. I'm happy for you and your students. (Just warn them not to get any youtube or facebook ideas about this challenge, 'k?)

Anonymous said...

I made a comment about one-handed novels in class one time. my co-teacher was mortified but I'm telling you, some of those victorian vampire thrillers...