Sunday, January 13, 2008

Resolution Update - Fitness

Ok, so the fitness part of my resolutions for the new year is the one that's received the most focus in the past two weeks, and it's the one that I have the most on which to report.

First, though, let me say that I set up the fitness goals this year not with the idea of losing weight (although that's an obvious side effect) or of eating healthily and then "cheating" as a reward (which is what I think got me into trouble the last time I lost weight, as one day of cheating became 3 and then 7. Indeed, "cheating" last semester really meant eating something that was good for me. And then the last big thing is drinking at least 48 oz. of water a day (and most days I'm actually doing closer to 72, I'd estimate, because it turns out that once one is used to consuming water, it's really the only thing that satisfies one's thirst).

But so, I weighed myself for the first time since the start of the year, and I've lost five pounds. Now, I probably should lose like 50 lbs. total, so that does factor into the achievement of that, but still. Five pounds! And I've been sleeping really great, and I've been eating *delicious* meals and I've been decent about working out. The only thing that's irritating is all of the energy that I have, for it turns out I really don't like having more energy, as it makes me antsy and I'd really rather be lazy than energetic a lot of the time. I suppose I'll get used to it?

3 comments:

EcoGeoFemme said...

Good for you!

Sisyphus said...

Oooh, 5 pounds? That's awesome! Focus on what you did, man, not on what's left to go!

I love the fact that you don't like having so much energy!!!! Hah! They always tout that as a benefit, but what if you _like_ being a lazy sluggard like me?

Andrea said...

I feel the same way! When I am being all healthy I have all this energy which feels realy weird just because I'm not used to it (like when I wake up early and am wide awake...look at all thsese people walking around at the buttcrack of dawn 7 a.m. who knew?) But also becasue my job is fairly sedentary and having too much energy makes it hard to grade papers or read theory for hours at a time. I'm going to try meditation to counter that becasue I think the healthy energy is better in the long run but must be managed!