Monday, January 21, 2008

A Meme about Class

As seen at Anastasia's.

1. Father went to college
2. Father finished college
3. Mother went to college
4. Mother finished college
5. Have any relative who is an attorney, physician, or professor
6. Were the same or higher class than your high school teachers.
7. Had more than 50 books in your childhood home. Probably 90% of which were mine
8. Had more than 500 books in your childhood home.
9. Were read children's books by a parent
10. Had lessons of any kind before you turned 18 Indeed, I had the working class dream: tap-dancing lessons (note: my friend A. wasn't allowed to have those because her mother said they were "trashy"). Also ice skating and ballet, and I took like 6 weeks of guitar lessons from a nun at my parochial school. My mom believed in lessons.
11. Had more than two kinds of lessons before you turned 18
12. The people in the media who dress and talk like me are portrayed Um... I don't know how to answer this one. The tv show Roseanne was my upbringing to a T. And I suppose now people who dress and talk like me are in the media....
13. Had a credit card with your name on it before you turned 18
14. Your parents (or a trust) paid for the majority of your college costs
15. Your parents (or a trust) paid for all of your college costs
16. Went to a private high school
17. Went to summer camp I guess high school newspaper stuff counts as that....
18. Had a private tutor before you turned 18
19. Family vacations involved staying at hotels
20. Your clothing was all bought new before you turned 18
21. Your parents bought you a car that was not a hand-me-down from them Um, it cost 300 bucks. And then my second car cost 800. And then my third car was bought at a police auction and was a hand-me-down
22. There was original art in your house when you were a child
23. You and your family lived in a single-family house
24. Your parent(s) owned their own house or apartment before you left home To quote Anastasia, "they paid the mortgage, if that's what you mean." But after the divorce, that house went into foreclosure. And it was like a $40,000 house.
25. You had your own room as a child Because I was an only child.
27. Participated in a SAT/ACT prep course
28. Had your own TV in your room in high school
29. Owned a mutual fund or IRA in high school or college
30. Flew anywhere on a commercial airline before you turned 16 Only to visit family, though. To put this into context, I took a Greyhound Bus to a journalism workshop in high school, a trip that was like 12 hours long.
31. Went on a cruise with your family
32. Went on more than one cruise with your family
33. Your parents took you to museums and art galleries as you grew up
34. You were unaware of how much heating bills were for your family

If this shows anything, I think it shows how important to my development it was that my parents only had one child.

2 comments:

MommyProf said...

Tap dancing is awesome. Going to one of those huge Tap-a-Ramas outside Macy's New York is on my bucket list.

Can you do windmills? I never could!

Field Notes said...

This is an interesting meme. I wonder how many people aren't doing it, for whatever reason. being ashamed of being privileged or ashamed for being 'lower' class. I could only highlight two - being read to and getting lessons. My husband on the other hand could bold almost all of them. I never realized how much we did grow up in 2 different classes.