Monday, April 10, 2006

Three Weeks and Counting

Why is it that when we hit this home-stretch part of the semester that all will that I have to teach flies right out of the window?

I blame the weather. (Spring, according to my allergies and to the blossoming trees, has officially sprung.)

In other news, I've got a post about boys forthcoming in the coming days (as I'm also in the home stretch of the online dating thang), but I need to ruminate some more.

Other than that? Yes, I think that I don't have much to report. I think that I am going to flee from campus as quickly as possible today in the hope that I can get some things accomplished (ha!).

Oh, and one last thing: there's the whole "women writers" meme that's going around. The truth is that 1) I can't be bothered to do it and 2) I think maybe the whole "women writers" thing might be played out for me (for a number of reasons, which I probably should post about). At any rate, I do think the lists of others are very interesting, though, so I recommend checking them out if you come across them. Oh, and I should clarify: I don't have any problem with women writers per se - I totally work on women writers in my work - I think it's the whole ghettoizing of women writers that is my problem. Yes, I'll need to post about this during the week, too, I think.

4 comments:

Dr. Virago said...

I think it's the whole ghettoizing of women writers that is my problem.

Me too. I've had that problem since I was a grad student and I did the women writers list as my third subject in my orals. I even brought it up in the exam.

It's become a ghetto in terms of who works on some of those writers, too. Margery Kempe studies, for example, is huge, but mostly women. I worry about women's scholarly ghettos even within the already ghettoized humanities.

And yet, we're still uncovering women's voices in the early period -- or at least, we still need to get some of them in decent editions and translations. So I realize the need for the positive segregation, otherwise their voices get drowned out again.

But still. Yeah. I know what you mean.

Dena Marie said...

I feel your pain on the "will to teach" bit. I'm actually on Spring Break this week (so LATE!); and when we get back, we'll only have two weeks of class left. Then, I'll only have one week to prep for a full load of summer classes. Talk about my motivation being zapped! Why would I want to be grading final papers and prepping courses when I could be playing in the sun??

Anyway, are your e-ears burning? I've featured your "Voice" blog entry in my blog today. So I thought you might want to check it out. Thanks for the inspiration to write this one.

http://spaces.msn.com/divineid/blog/cns!4612AF2CB2631D06!475.entry

--Dena Marie

M said...

So, I'm from L.A., and this is my first full-on spring.

I love it!

Another Damned Medievalist said...

I just started week three. I have SEVEN WEEKS LEFT. Don't make me start with the whining!