Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Good (and Surprising) News

So a while back, a call for papers went out for a special issue of a small journal. (By small I mean SMALL, i.e., articles come in at around 8 pages or so.) Now, the special issue had a theme that entirely fits some work I'd done already, and so I knew I should submit something. And yet, I was not optimistic that this would become a publication - not at all - as I've had a somewhat ambivalent relationship with the community of scholars who work on this particular topic. (By ambivalent, I mean exactly that, in that I've gotten some amazing mentorship from these people but at the same time they have shunned me in recent years, I think maybe because my scholarship has veered away from this topic and so I'm not a This Topic Scholar exclusively, if that makes sense, which it may not since I can't actually write about this in a non-anonymizing way.) But so anyway, since I wasn't feeling optimistic, I forced myself to put something together to submit for consideration but also I didn't spend very much time doing so, as I felt like I'd be pissed off if I wasted days and days putting the thing together just for it to be rejected. So I spent about three hours. And I sent it off.

Today I heard back about it. I'm in! I'm in! Another publication on the CV! Yippee!

10 comments:

Seeking Solace said...

WooHoo! Cheers to you!!!

michelle said...

Congrats!!

Dr. Crazy said...

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

phd me said...

Oh, congrats! May my current efforts be so fruitful. :)

BikeProf said...

Congratulations! Isn't it funny how things you sort of do thinking there's no hope end up getting accepted with no fuss? The same thing happened to me. It's almost like finiding money you didn't know you had tucked down in your winter coat when you take it out in November.

New Kid on the Hallway said...

Hooray!

Dr. Crazy said...

If by "research agenda" you mean "Dr. Crazy doesn't ever say no to anything and she'll send anything out into the ether as long as she remembers to do so in a kind of haphazard way," yes, it's moving along :) Thank you all for the congrats - it's so nice to have good news to share instead of just beginning-of-semester bitching! (Actually, I'll have some good things to report about the beginning of the semester soon, but in keeping with my "I'm a hard ass at the beginning" persona, I find it's not great to dwell on the nice stuff until I've graded the students one time :)

Artistic Soul said...

Congrats! Actually, I've found that sometimes when I'm not "This Topic Scholar" that my work actually end up being received better. It's like the reviewers know they don't have to fight me for stakes or positioning, but accept that an "outside" idea might be of interest to others.

MommyProf said...

What great news. I'm sure it made your day!

Wol said...

Congratulations! News like that deserves celebration.