Wednesday, May 07, 2008

I can't help but do this meme again...

Step 1: Put your MP3 player or whatever on random.
Step 2: Post the first line from the first 25 songs that play, no matter how embarrassing the song.
Step 3: Post and let everyone you know guess what song and artist the lines come from.
Step 4: Strike through when someone gets them right I'm bolding because I can't be bothered to the html for striking through:)
Step 5: Looking them up on Google or any other search engine is CHEATING. So is looking at my last.fm feed for the last hour or so…

  1. You know I thug 'em, fuck 'em, love 'em, leave 'em, 'cause I don't fuckin' need 'em
  2. (Lots of spoken word stuff) I heard she's got a 9 to 5
  3. A house of cards, a supple heart
  4. Lady sing the blues so well, as if she mean it
  5. You can walk, or you can run
  6. It takes a backwash man to sing a backwash soul
  7. Don't stop shaking, it's my head that makes me want to second-guess at a distance
  8. I want to wake up and know where I'm going
  9. The new kid he's got money
  10. The Cadillac stood by the house, and the yanks they were within
  11. People say I'm the life of the party 'cause I tell a joke or two
  12. Fido, your leash is too long
  13. Now when I was a young man I carried me pack and I lived the free life of a rover
  14. The early cars, already are
  15. When will we get, the time to be, just friends
  16. All these babies are born
  17. You wait up for me, I don't wake up for you
  18. (Some spoken word stuff) Cut to the pub on a lad's night out
  19. Well it's a marvelous night for a moondance
  20. Mirror, mirror on the wall, tell me mirror what is wrong?
  21. I been cheated, been mistreated
  22. Don't hold yourself like that
  23. I know, what I know
  24. It was pretty bright, up on the rainbow bridge tonight
  25. I'm not afraid of the black man running

20 comments:

PMG said...

#1 Jay Z, Big Pimpin' of course! Bold first song, RT.

Dr. Curmudgeon said...

I'll grab some...

#11 - "Tracks of My Tears" - Smokey Robinson
#19 - "Moondance" - Van Morrison
#21 - "When Will I Be Loved" - Linda Ronstadt
#23 - "I Know What I Know" - Paul Simon

Dr. Crazy said...

PMG - Indeed!

Curmudgeon -
#11 - But it was the Linda Rondstadt version. LR is a love of mine from my youth. The Smokey version is better, though, even if it's not my first love.
#19 Indeed
#21 Indeed
#23 You should totally know better than that. Think a lady singer from NYC.

Dr. Curmudgeon said...

The only song I can think of with those lyrics that isn't Paul Simon is by Edie Brickell, but I thought it started differently...it's going to be something obvious like #5 which I can hear but can't think of the title for.

I should be grading.

Stupid, stupid grading.

Dr. Crazy said...

Think of a band that begins with the letter Y. Dude, if you don't get it, I'm totally done with you :)

Dr. Curmudgeon said...

This...this is what an 8 am morning does.

#23 "Turn Into" the Yeah Yeah Yeahs.

Jenny Davidson said...

re: reader version of post, not one I'm commenting on here (welcome to delete when read!): I second your notion of excerpt of thesis rather than student-driven expansion of essay. Very quick judgments, in these graduate admissions readings, based on instantaneous sense of quality of reading/writing in first couple paragraphs. Less concern on structure/shape/notion of essay as a whole. A sequence of 10 pages' worth of v. high-quality paragraphs, clearly written, stimulating insights, will serve a student well... welcome to e-mail off-blog if you would like any further thoughts on this re: CU and the couple other places I know about?

life_of_a_fool said...

#15 Just Friends, Amy Winehouse

life_of_a_fool said...

And: #13 Waltzing Matilda, by any of a number of people. I'll go with The Pogues.

Anonymous said...

#4 regina spektor Lady
#14 fiona apple not about love

everyone guessed the others I knew. Oh, and can I say that Paul Simon sprang to mind when I saw those lyrics, too....except I know that the Paul Simon song in question begins with the line: She looked me over and I guess she thought I was alright.

Anonymous said...

my point is that I'm a nerd and I listen to way too much Paul Simon.

You know what else is good? the duet between Paul Simon and Linda Rondstadt on the song Under African Skies.

dr four eyes said...

#25 Jacksonville, Sufjan Stevens

Flavia said...

16. Liz Phair, "Only Son"
18. Lily Allen, "Knock 'em Out" (my favorite LA song!)

All the others I know have already been identified. . .

Crispinella said...

Delurking to say:

#7 Elastica, "Hold Me Now" (Elasica! Yay!)

Should know #24 but can't place it... something indie?

Renaissance Girl said...

#3 Bright Eyes, "Devil in the Details"?

#5 New Order, "State of the Nation." Fantastic.

#6 Best Beck song ever: "Hotwax."

#17 Tegan and Sarah,---is it called "Speaking Slow" or "Speak Slowly" or something like that?

#22 Damian Rice, "Volcano." A bummer of a song in an otherwise sprightly list, I must say...

DAG said...

15: Old 97s, "The New Kid"
Go, Veronica Mars-based education.

PMG said...

ooh, is #20 Arcade Fire, "Black Mirror"?

Which is an awesome song, I say with musicological authority.

Scrivener said...

#9 is the Old 97s "The New Kid"

Dr. Virago said...

#12 is "Fido, Your Leash is Too Long" by Magnetic Fields.

Yes! I finally got one of these! (I also knew #11 and #19, but those were easy.)

Susan said...

10. Body of an American--The Pogues
24. Wrapped Up In Books--Belle & Sebastian